cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection/speed issues.

nathan1111
Grafter

Connection/speed issues.

Hey everyone, recently over past few days noticed my net is disconnecting fairly frequently and connection never stays active for more then say 6 hours (which is a pain as normally its always on).
Ive noticed that my download speeds have decreased, either by p2p or direct downloads. Normally id get around 800kB/s download per average, via any type of download but not getting that at all, and web pages, and everything load up slower.
Im on a Legacy Premier Product so should be getting Upto 8mb, with upload Speed of 800kbps which i normally do get and sync at. Ive tested with another Router and also using my Other Pc jus to make sure its not the router or built in ethernet (any hardware problems) But stil getting the same thing.
Right now Maximum i can download at is 500kB/s which is unusual especially during off-peak hours (between 12am-4pm When FUP Doesnt Apply).
All ports are forwarded via Router and/or any other software but does not make a difference. Router always states the PPP connection is DOWN with which I always have to reboot any router I have to reconnect.
I lowered the MTU to 1450 and then 1400 (Was 1500 before) They both resulted in the connection staying active longer BUT still disconnected.
Need some help as to what could be the cause
Many Thanks Nathan Cheesy
4 REPLIES 4
mapletree
Grafter

Re: Connection/speed issues.

Can you do a BT speedtest (http://www.speedtester.bt.com/) and post the results here.  Also check out your line stats.  If you don't know how to do this check out this site (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php).  HTH
nathan1111
Grafter

Here are my Stats from the Router which seem to be fine ( Just rebooted router as like always was reporting PPP as Down) But stats look good.

Downstream      Upstream
Rate (Kbps) :       8128                  832
SNR Margin (dB) :   8.5                  11.0
Attenuation (dB) : 25.0                  13.5

Unfortunately I probably need a Service ID to perform the test, with just my telephone number an error constantly occuring but i will try later on
Also HEC Errors are 2 on the DownStream , 0 on Upstream
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You don't need to put anything in the Service ID box to do the test. You need to put in your full telephone number including area code with no spaces.
The Username that may be requested is the one you put in your router.
As an aside Barry Zubel (Forum Moderator) has started a tracking thread which will hopefully present the relevant information to PN in a standardised format, which should help draw attention to any trends that may be occurring.
Could I ask you to fill in a 'report' there?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63