cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed has greatly decreased

Rappaccini
Hooked

Connection speed has greatly decreased

I have had PlusNet for several years, and it has been fine. In the past several weeks, however, it has been very slow to connect to websites or to sections within them. I get the Connection Timed Out page. I have to click on Refresh several times. I often do not get the proper home page but a list of topics in blue type, underlined. It is usually quick with websites I use every day, but sometimes it is slow with those as well. I did the BT test. Results were 7.88 download, .69 upload, and 25 Ping, whatever that means. I would be very grateful for some help, but PLEASE can you make it simple because, computer-wise, I am very, very stupid. Thanking you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Connection speed has greatly decreased

Hi there,

I've just been running some tests on your broadband connection and that all seems to be fine.

This leads me to believe the problem you're seeing relates specifically to WiFi

Please try following the advice shown here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

Let us know how you get on so we can follow things up with you if needed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Rappaccini
Hooked

Thank you, but I do not use the wi-fi. I have been trying to think if anything has changed in my use of the computer that might have brought this about, but cannot.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, I'd try following the steps here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
monabri
Grafter

Same here. Things have suddenly got very slow with lots of time outs and pages not loading correctly. I've been with Plusnet for years and the problem started about 3/4 weeks ago

Rappaccini
Hooked

Thank you! What a relief after the online tests showing nothing wrong, the people at PlusNet telling me nothing is wrong!  This started three or four weeks ago. Sometimes, when I want to connect to a new website, it happens right away, as it used to, but most of the time I have to reload three or four times. I also find that the loading process keeps going on and on and on. It sometimes helps if I terminate the loading, then quickly reload. I often read the online magazine Slate, but now it is only rarely that I am able to view readers' comments, which you have to load. Sometimes, when I try to watch a film on youtube, it fails to load. Nothing else about the computer seems wrong--the email and Word are okay. And I have done NOTHING different.

Do you perhaps live, like me, near Brixton? I once read that it was an area that had a lot of broadband problems.

Rappaccini
Hooked

The other thing that frequently happens is that I get connected to the website but what I see onscreen is not the actual web page. Instead I see a lot of text, no pictures, in a column on the left and the text is all in blue and underlined. Or I will get to the real page but see only text, no pictures, and have to reload several times to get the pictures.