cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed almost halved since installation.. wtf? :(

Monkey

Connection speed almost halved since installation.. wtf? :(

When I first had my FTTC line installed, I was getting 34mbps on this line.  Speed subsequently dropped to around 28-29mbps.
Since I was getting nowhere near the 76mbps I was paying for, I asked to downgrade to the 38mbps package. This was a surprisingly long and difficult process but eventually I was moved to the 38mbps tier at a lower price (I had to extend the contract as well).
Now my speeds are only around 20mbps. What is going on? Have I been changed to an even slower profile?
I can understand not all lines can handle the highest speeds, but how could my line speed halve in the space of just over half a year? It's already at the low end of what fibre tech is meant to be able to do, surely there must be a problem somewhere?
Shocked
3 REPLIES 3
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Connection speed almost halved since installation.. wtf? :(

What are your estimates here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
Unfortunately, there can be things like cross talk/poor wiring/electrical interference that can all impact a line's performance. There is very little that can be done about them at the moment.
DanHodby
Grafter

Morning Monkey,
Your line is performing above the estimates. The estimates are from 23.3 to 11.4 and your line currently has a profile of 28MBps.
That looks about right to me.
Dan
Monkey

Thanks Dan... at least the profile is not lower than I was getting before. Just did another test and got 23 so slightly better than this morning.
Really can't believe how much its just slowing down for no obvious reason though...