cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection so slow I can't even run a speed test!

petedeeuk
Dabbler

Connection so slow I can't even run a speed test!

Alright, so I was kinda annoyed at getting 100Kbps when trying to download the WoW client today, but you know its acceptable. However since about 6pm tonight (when i switched up from 10Gb and added another 4Gb to my "Broadband Pro" package my connection has gone to hell, its taken me almost 2 hours to download a 50Mb file and during that time I can't even surf. I've tried using a couple of different PCs, I've tried using a wired connection, I've switched filters, sockets, and anything else I can think of. I've reset my router, I've turned off my wireless but my connection is so damn slow I can't even run the damn speed test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com (just comes with time out errors) I've paid for the most expensive package so I wouldn't have outages like this, and the speed was fine just a few hours ago before I changed ANYTHING.
What the hell can i do?
30 REPLIES 30
ed
Grafter

Re: Connection so slow I can't even run a speed test!

www.speedtest.net is a good one, try that Smiley

.. Just don't ask me why I'm paying £21.99pcm for a 2mbps service with a 20Gb limit Huh Doh!
petedeeuk
Dabbler

Results for my "8 Meg" line:

Plus says that it can get up to 6mbps although I've never got close to that.
ed
Grafter

OMG somone has put you on an old 128kbps ISDN line Tongue
petedeeuk
Dabbler

You aren't kidding, this feels slower than dial up at the moment. The response from tech support was basically "wait till tomorrow cause there is bog all we can do about it tonight" no offense but I can't see how its gonna fix itself, I can't see any problems logged on my exchange so I don't think its a BT problem but right now god only knows
jnwright
Grafter

OK here at midnight.

I notice that on BT's broadband service status they have an ongoing problem, first notified at 17:55 on 6th October which reads:
Network problem
We are aware of a network problem which may be affecting access to the internet in certain areas. Our engineers are working to resolve the problem. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Seems similar to the one last weekend on routes through Glasgow where speeds here were temporarily similar to ISDN. Where certain areas are they do not say.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: petedeeuk
I've paid for the most expensive package so I wouldn't have outages like this, and the speed was fine just a few hours ago before I changed ANYTHING.
What the hell can i do?

Post up your line stats (Sync speed, S/N and Margin)
That will help point to the issue. If you rsync speed is slow it will not matter which package you are on.
Chilly
jnwright
Grafter

@petedeeuk
I see, today, that BT say their network problem was:
Resolved
Updated on:
06 October 2007
07:07 PM
The fact they didn't update their website until after 02:00 on 7th October means your problem couldn't have been related to this.  It isn't helpful when BT forget to update their website for hours when a fault is fixed.
So the best thing to do is, as Chilly says, post up your line stats.
petedeeuk
Dabbler

Where would I get those stats from?
Latest test that I did a couple of minutes ago:

EDIT:
Is this right?
ADSL Line Type: GDMT
ADSL Line Coding: INTERLEAVED
Line Attenuation: (Down):30  (Up):14
Noise Margin: (Down):4  (Up):22
Total Output Power : (Down):0  (Up):0
Current Rate: DownStr: 7712(K)  UpStr: 448(K)
ADSL Line Status: UP
FEC(FAST): (Near):0  (Far):0
FEC(INTERL): (Near):5712  (Far):648825
CRC(FAST): (Near):0  (Far):0
CRC(INTERL): (Near):81  (Far):1715
HEC(FAST): (Near):0  (Far):0
HEC(INTERL): (Near):68  (Far):0
Showtime last(sec): 1191767156
ADSL_FW_Version: 0.49
ADSL_Board_Type: Annex A
petedeeuk
Dabbler

DSL Status:  UP   
      DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT  
      DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED  
      Downstream Rate: 7712 Kbps  
      Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps  
      Downstream Margin: 4 db  
      Upstream Margin: 22 db  
      Downstream Line Attenuation: 30  
      Upstream Line Attenuation: 14  
      Downstream Transmit Power: 0  
      Upstream Transmit Power: 0  

PVC Connection

Encapsulation: RFC 2516 PPPoE  
      Multiplexing: LLC  
      Qos: UBR  
      Pcr Rate: 0  
      Scr Rate: 0  
      Autodetect: Disable  
      VPI: 0   
      VCI: 38   
      Enable: Yes  
      PVC Status: Applied -- OK  

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Not sure why this would affect your throughput but can you try changing the encapsulation to PPPoA and the multiplexing to VC or VC-MUX
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
petedeeuk
Dabbler

Done, made no difference

Its defiantly nothing on my end since it used to be running at over 4000kbps yesterday afternoon, I haven't changed anything since then so it can't be a problem on my end
jnwright
Grafter

Did you power cycle the router after altering the settings?  Check the config screen to make sure they were saved.
For information, the recommended settings are at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/connections_settings.shtml
I am surprised that your router reports Total Output Power :  (Down):0  (Up):0
I get values of output power downstream: 19 db and output power upstream: 12 db.  Your values indicate that these may not be reported by your router manufacturer.
Also check https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed to see the profile speed that PlusNet have recorded for your connection (supplied by BT).  Your sync speed looks OK at 7712kbps and your profile would be expected to be probably just below this figure.  If you could run the BT speedtest, which you haven't been able to do yet, BT's recorded value for this profile would have been given in the results.  Sometimes the profile speed that BT have recorded fails to get updated at PlusNet and a ticket has to be raised to get it corrected.  Normally a drop in profile speed is caused by low speed sync event occurring at some point.  This can take some time to get updated to the normal value (up to about 3 days normally).  Your noise margin (down) of 4dB suggests that 7712kbps downstream sync rate is about the highest value that will be achieved.
Also check that you haven't exceeded your peak time allowance for your product at https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php as speed will be limited if that is so.  Hopefully PlusNet upgraded your product correctly yesterday when you switched package to Broadband Pro and added 4GB and haven't left you speed limited in some way.  Perhaps time for a ticket tennis match!  Could possibly be something at the PlusNet end of things.  It needs someone to check thoroughly, since Broadband Pro is a new product, especially as you probably changed the product at sometime during the billing cycle.
petedeeuk
Dabbler

Well the connections settings page says "Your current broadband speed is 5000 Kbps" in the speed tests my ping is always really low (well about 90 or so) but its the actual speed that is the problem, I'm sure that its nothing on my end since I didn't change anything before the speed died Sad
jnwright
Grafter

It looks as though it needs some clever person like jamesh to have a quick look at the PlusNet end to see that your product upgrade didn't upset anything.  Have to wait until tomorrow?!