cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection reset to 1mb?

jackgraham

Connection reset to 1mb?

hi,
i've had adsl max now (runnin at around 7mb) for over well 6 months now, yet the last couple of days it's running at 1mb speeds. Adsl speedtests confimed this.
also when i go to Member Center > Connection settings > high speed broadband. It also states my service is 1000kbps.
I'm well within my usage limits. Currently connected to the thn-ag3 gateway and no faults have been reported at my exchange, i did however experience the delicious unable to connect period.
any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Connection reset to 1mb?

Your router must have disconnected and re-synced between 1152 and 1408kbps to give you a 1000kbps profile. If you haven't restarted the router since the low sync I suggest doing that.
Once the sync speed returns to normal (around the 7000kbps you mentioned) you should find the profile increases again in 3-5 days.
You should be able to get the connection stats (sync speeds/noise ratios/attenuations) from your router's web interface pages. Kitz's page here may help with this.
David
jackgraham

i have rebooted the router several times within the last week or so (because of the delicio.us problem, and this one) and it didn't solve anything.
i'm not at home at the min to copy the connection stats from my router, i will do that when i get home.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
You're currently synchronising at 8096Kbps.
However, at 20/02/2008 01:58:09 you had a sync event of 1152Kbps.  Your profile should amend itself in the next day or so.
jackgraham

here is my router stats:
Line Mode G.dmt Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time Duration 01:15:17:31
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 8096 Kbps 448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 9824 Kbps 1292 Kbps
Noise Margin 8.8 dB 28.0 dB
Line Attenuation 0.0 dB 2.5 dB
Output Power 12.5 dBm 9.8 dBm
still getting 1mb.
any ideas?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep, as Jameseh advises you had a low sync on the 20th. Once this happens it takes around 3-5 days of syncing at a higher speed for the profile and therefore throughput to increase again. I'd expect this to happen over the weekend.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jackgraham

hi, just a query, i've just experience around an hour of disconnectivity. Is that to do with the line rate increasing?
my current router stats have dropped from it's original 8000kbps down to 2880kbps (i still get 900kbps naturally):
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2880 Kbps 448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 3232 Kbps 1208 Kbps
Noise Margin 20.8 dB 24.0 dB
Line Attenuation 0.0 dB 2.5 dB
Output Power 12.2 dBm 9.8 dBm
jackgraham

hi,
just another query, should i expect the line speed to increase gradually or in an instant?
my connection is actually only averaging 800kbps now, and i've experienced no increase at all. I realize there is a certain degree of patience in this, but i get the feeling that i am waiting for something that isn't the cause of the problem.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The range of sync speeds you've experienced is huge and abnormal suggesting there's a fault somewhere; the first thing to do is to make sure it isn't internal to your property, checking all telephone equipment is properly filtered, trying different microfilters and plugging your router into the master socket.
I suggest having a look at Jameseh's blog broadband-speed-faults-how-to-diagnose.
David
jackgraham

hi, just an update, i bought a new router (linksys) and i'm now getting 3mb (which i assume will sync higher in the next few days) it seems there was something wrong with my belkin router, i initially thought it could have just been the settings, but i combed through it and nothing made any difference. So it must be something to do with the hardware (what, i have no idea)
thanks to all that helped.