Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems still.

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Connection problems still.

I've had a ticket in since yesterday morning but with no response as yet. For the past 3-4 days, my broadband connection has been getting disconnected and the only way I can get up and running again is to unplug my router and plug it back in again. I know there were issues a few days ago and I rang through and heard the recorded message about ongoing difficulties and the need to turn off the router for 15 minutes. However, I always turn my router and computer off overnight and this still has not rectified the issue.
The odd thing is that just before all this started happening, I turned off my broadband and tested out the dial up method (I'm about to move and BT have messed up my phone connection in the new house and I won't get broadband in before my move date). I cannot understand what, if anything, I've done wrong to make the broadband connection erratic ever since. Note, I'm still in my old house. My username is 'barnes'.
Please can anyone help.
Many thanks.
Annie
Annie
22 REPLIES 22
James
Grafter

Re: Connection problems still.

Hi Annie,
I've just replied to the ticket on your account.
I've run some quick checks on your connection, which initially make things look okay.
With intermittent faults, there's a number of things that can cause problems and quite often it's intereference related.  Firstly, the most important thing is to make sure that your router is connecting directly into your master socket by a filter.  It's also a really good idea to try using a different filter too, just in case the one that you are using is faulty.  Also, make sure that everything you have connected into a phone socket has a filter attached.
It's also a good idea to plug a corded phone into the filter on your master socket and listen to hear if you can hear any noise that sounds like hissing, or something along those lines.  If you can, you should report this as a fault to whoever you pay for your telephone service.
If you're still having trouble after doing these initial diagnostics, then please raise a fault by going to http://faults.plus.net

If you'd like to try those things first and let us know how you get on.  Also, make sure that your dialup modem isn't connected to your poneline, just in case.
paulby
Grafter

@Annie
Have you made sure that your dial-up modem isn't trying to dial out when you're trying to surf or collect e-mail?
If you're using an ethernet or wireless connection to your PC then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options and select the connections tab.  Make sure that "Never dial a connection" is selected and click OK at the bottom of the box.
Annie
Rising Star

I have given it a few more days and things seem better than they were. I only had to switch the router off and on again once yesterday when I initially turned the computer on and it seems to have been OK today. I don't know why it was misbehaving before. I will continue to monitor things over the next few days.
Many thanks. Annie
Annie
Annie
Rising Star

I had the same problem again this morning - the internet didn't work when I switched on and I had to turn my router off and on again. I've just gone to use it again and I've had to do the same thing.
The only other thing I can think of is we had a second BT phone line in our house disconnected around the same sort of time as when this trouble started. The broadband isn't on this circuit and never has been so it seems strange to think that this would be the cause.
We are due to move on Friday so I'll have to request a move (I'm still waiting from BT to confirm that I will get the number I have requested - they say it should be renumbered tomorrow). Do you think I'll have the same problem after I've moved (ie. is it something on my computer or the local environment)?
Annie
James
Grafter

Hi Annie,
I don't think it will have anything to do with your having your second BT line disconnected.
Also, I would expect it to be to do with your local environment or your hardware.  If you still have problems after you have moved house, I would suspect your router or your microfilter to be the cause of the problem.
paulby
Grafter

@Annie
What make and model of router do you have?
If it's a Voyager 210 these seem to be prone to the type of problem you're describing.
It may be worth trying another router (borrow one from a friend perhaps - remember you'll need to change the login detail if you do). It may be worth trying this even if it's not a Voyager.
Annie
Rising Star

Hi,
Thank you for the replies. I've been out most of the day but have just tried again and the same thing has happened. I've tried a different microfilter for the past few days but that's made no difference. I don't have access to another router at present. I have a Netgear DG834GT which has worked fine ever since I went on broadband (about 4 years now).
I know there are problems with a certain gateway (pcl-ag04) but I've just checked and I'm connected to pte-ag1. Ican't understand what the problem is but I had hoped to sort it out before moving because that can bring a whole load of problems of its own if I don't get things set up correctly at the other end.
Annie
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Annie
I know there are problems with a certain gateway (pcl-ag04) but I've just checked and I'm connected to pte-ag1.

See here, we're not accepting any new connections on pcl-ag04.
I can't understand what the problem is but I had hoped to sort it out before moving because that can bring a whole load of problems of its own if I don't get things set up correctly at the other end.

You're probably best waiting until you've moved to see if that resolves the problem. If you want to try troubleshooting the problem before that though then you could do worse than to read here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Annie
Rising Star

Just a quickie - if the connection problems were due to me adding the dialup account and trying it out, would this also influence my husband's computer which is connected wirelessly to the same router? He has the same symptoms as me. The connection drops out when the computer/internet has been idle for a period although not every time. It's been 3 times already this morning, though. The broadband light on the router stays on all the time.
Annie
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In answer to the quickie, no it shouldn't but ,,,,, here's a daft one, is your dialup connection plugged in via a filter (phone connection not ADSL connection ie using a lead with a BT plug on the end not an RJ11) ?
Also what Paul03 said is most important, that could quickly cause router lockup if not disabled (when you don't need it).  When testing/using your dialup (when you enable it) unplug your ethernet cable from the computer to router.
The most important thing that you said last is
The broadband light on the router stays on all the time.

This suggests that you are not losing sync with the exchange, you should check that by looking at your modem/routers ADSL line stats and checking your Downstream (DS) sync speed (line/connection rate). If it's not changing and you've not lost sync, then forget all this master socket/filters stuff. Your modem/router could be at fault, so first I'd suggest you borrow a known good one for the 10 day training period at your new house. After that then perhaps investigate further, or do it before you move.
Annie
Rising Star

'Anotherone',
My dialup modem was connected via the phone socket part of the filter. However, I unplugged it after use. Yes, I did click the 'Never dial a connection' option after using the dialup experiment. I even deleted the dialup account although I kept the Freeserve one that's been there since eternity.
I've attached my router's stats. I think it means things should be OK.
Can I ask, what is the 10 day training period? Am I going to have a problem if I can't get hold of another router? Does the 10 days begin from when the broadband actually gets connected, not from when I apply for it?
Annie
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The router stats look OK but suggest your kit has only been switched on or synchronised with the exchange for 10 minutes? Here are the times your router has connected/disconnected from the Internet today:
22:32 03/Jun/2009	N/A
22:30 03/Jun/2009 22:30 03/Jun/2009
22:09 03/Jun/2009 22:20 03/Jun/2009
21:42 03/Jun/2009 22:06 03/Jun/2009
21:35 03/Jun/2009      21:39 03/Jun/2009
14:40 03/Jun/2009    15:04 03/Jun/2009
07:50 03/Jun/2009 08:48 03/Jun/2009
07:12 03/Jun/2009 07:36 03/Jun/2009
06:29 03/Jun/2009 06:55 03/Jun/2009
15:58 02/Jun/2009 01:24 03/Jun/2009

Are you turning your router off when it's not in use? A line test shows 4 or 5 synchronisation attempts over the last day or two as well. If you can't get hold of any alternative kit then we can normally provide a test router but it's unlikely that we'll do this until you've seen how things are at the new premises.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Annie
Rising Star

Yes Bob. I'm having to unplug the router and plug it back in again quite often in order to keep the connection.
I have just updated the firmware for my router and so will see how this goes tomorrow. I move on Friday. Unfortunately, BT should have renumbered my new phone today but there's yet another delay at their end so I'm going to be without broadband for nearly a week by the look of it.
Annie
Annie
Rising Star

One more thing (sorry) - my router says I'm using 212.159.6.10 and 212.159.6.9 for my domain name servers. Would this be relevant and should I switch to another pair? The setup says to 'Get automatically from ISP').
Annie