Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems in the past 48 hrs

kozi
Dabbler

Connection problems in the past 48 hrs

Hi
Im not by any means a broadband "wiz" so if i so happen not to understand something please bare with me  Wink .
Over the last 48 hours (maybe a bit less) my seemingly stable connection with syncs of around, downstream: 19000(Kbps) and upstream:888(Kbps)
has become pretty unstable with constant disconects and sharp falls in speed. From 15.89 Mb/s to, at times 7 Mb/s (sometimes even less), upload speeds have  halved from 0.74 Mb/s to 37 Mb/s

Now,the sync speed is now at around Downstream:16344(Kbps) and Upstream:440(Kbps) and seems to be stuck here.
(Im very "in the dark" on subject of SNR)
My SNR margins seem, odd.
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 92  Downstream
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 306  upstream
Attenuation margins:
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 210 downstream
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 52      upstream
I have no idea what these numbers mean and would apprecaite if someone could shed some light the the subject.
If it is possible, could my connection be checked for any "problems".
12 REPLIES 12
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Connection problems in the past 48 hrs

Just to suggest you might want to edit the 2nd line of your post and stick an extra zero on the 1900 so as not to confuse anyone else reading  Wink
Best thing to start with is have a good listen to your phone line. Can you hear any crackling or other noises when using the phone? Do you have any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry I pressed post on the previous message instead of preview -
Anyway, I would guess because of the drops you've had the downstream Target Noise Margin has been raised to 9dB which is giving you the slower download speed. For the same reason the Exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has capped you Upload speed to 440 and hence the much larger SNRM for the upload. The figures themselves look consistent. It's a case of finding out what has caused the drops in sync. (connection to the exchange). I've suggested the phone line as a start.
kozi
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone
Whoops! forgot to add the extra zero.  Embarrassed
When receiving calls I loss connectivity to the internet ( this has only happened twice) and yes there is a slight crackling noise when using the phone.
Any ideas what this could mean?
Anotherone
Champion

A bad joint on the phone line is a good probability, but the filter might also be a cause, do you have a spare?
But before going down that route, I should check, have you altered anything with your setup in the last 48hrs? Or got any new electrical equipment?
If not, try a filter swap first BUT -
because you've already had drops, and the Target SNRM has been raised, I'd suggest you adopt the following method in future if you need to swap anything around, plug into the test socket, reboot/resync etc -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  
Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the Exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
Now check to see if you still get a drop when you receive a call - I assume this happens when it's ringing rather than when you answer.
Also note, you can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
This is where you can effectively change the "channel" that you are connected to at the Plusnet end and doesn't cause a resync with the exchange. There maybe all sorts of reasons you may want to do this from download speed issues to pages not loading, lots of lag, etc.
kozi
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
A bad joint on the phone line is a good probability, but the filter might also be a cause, do you have a spare?
But before going down that route, I should check, have you altered anything with your setup in the last 48hrs? Or got any new electrical equipment?

Hi,
I do indeed have a spare filter and I haven't altered anything within my set-up, neither have I got any new electrical equipment. The problem has pretty much come out of the blue. I have also dialled 17070 for a quiet line test and unfortunately there is crackling. I think I will change the filter and see if it has an impact.
Anotherone
Champion

Don't forget to use that disconnect procedure whilst you are swapping things about, resyncing etc.
If there is crackling after that, try it with the phone alone into the test socket. Try your phone on another line to be sure it's not the phone.
If it's definitely the phone line it needs to be reported to your line rental provider, without mentioning the broadband or you tend to get the run around.
Who do you pay line rental to?
kozi
Dabbler

The results:
Filter swap (first attempt)-  Still crackling, Noise margin pretty much the same  SNR Margin (0.1 dB)Downstream/Upstream: 95 302
Phone line alone in test socket- Crackling drastically decreased to almost no crackling when using the phone.
Phone on another line- Crackling drastically decreased to almost no crackling when using the phone.
Filter swap (second attempt)-  Quite allot Less crackling then the first attempt with no outbursts of crackling that occurred in attempt one. In fact there is actually hardly any crackling at all.Noise margin still pretty much the same  at SNR Margin (0.1 dB)Downstream/Upstream: 92 302
My sync values are pretty much the same also:
Rate (Kbps) Dowstream/upstream: 16234 440 Sad
Paying line rental to BT.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, the phone crackling on another line......(was that a corded phone?) does another phone crackle on this other line? If not, sounds like the phone may be on the blink. You'd need to repeat the checks with a good corded phone, but also now you've swapped filters, see if the problems continue.
If problems continue, a good corded phone plugged direct into the test socket to confirm noise. Ring BT faults whilst the line is crackly, get them to confirm they can hear it, log it and that it's intermittent, and you are connected to the test socket with a corded phone - those are very important things to state in case an engineer cannot locate a fault. And don't mention the broadband otherwise you might get the run around. Good luck with Mumbai, or where ever the call goes these days if you need to do that !
kozi
Dabbler

The phone doesn't actually crackle on neither lines that I tested when connected directly into the test socket. It seems that the phone only has a crackling noise when in the filter(the one before I did the swap). HOWEVER now that I did a filter swap, the phone doesn't crackle at all (just tested it again now).  Smiley

EDIT: just tested it again and there is still crackling when the phone line is in the filter. However there isn't any crackling when phone line is directly connected to the test socket
Anotherone
Champion

Would be best to try another modem/router if you have a spare or can borrow one, just to check that it's not that causing a problem.
kozi
Dabbler

Unfortunatiliy i don't have a spare modem/router. Sad nor can I actually borrow one.
I have however noticed less connection drop outs today (around 1-2) then Monday (around 7-12 connection drop outs and where the problems first appeared). Also the noise margins are fluctuating quite a bit. There is still the odd crackling noise in the background of phone calls.
Speed however is stabilizing at around 12 mb/s download and 0.37 upload which i think is a good sign, but still lower speeds then I'm use to having. So I guess ill have to test the phone in the test socket again to see if its the phone  at fault here ( maybe I missed something last time I did this)
Note: not sure if this will be of any use but I'm not using the modem/router supplied by plus net but a custom one (TP-LINK TD-W8960N N ADSL2+)
Anotherone
Champion

No problem with using the TP-LINK. Just keep checking the line especially when you see drops, if it's crackly there shouldn't be any harm ringing BT and asking them to run a line test to see if a fault is showing, remember don't mention the broadband.