Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problem...Server not found error, but can connect through a proxy

xist
Grafter

Connection problem...Server not found error, but can connect through a proxy

Help!
On Thursday my Brother popped by and wanted to connect up his laptop to the internet so like a dutiful sibling i added him to the allowed MAC access list. Later that day we started getting DNS errors so after flushing the DNS cache didn't solve the problem i restarted the router which cured the problem but unfortunately resulted in a resync at something around 200, initially and then trying again later it went back up to around 8000. Although this had the knockon effect of taking my IP Profile from 7000 to 135 the connection error was resolved.
Whilst annoying, i figured problem solved, i'll just wait three days for the profile to go back up.  However the Server not found error reared it's head again on Friday leading to me needing to reset the router again yesterday (although this time sync remained high). But  today i was downloading a file and trying to browse at the same time (probably stupid at my current connection speed i know) when i got the Server not found error again....flushing the DNS cache still doesn't help.
I can't connect with any standard browser, although i'm using TOR, Opera and Privoxy at the moment which does connect so my connection is defintely still around somewhere. Is this a DNS issue and if so what can i do aside from resetting the router again? The last thing i want to do is make BT think my line is unstable and get hit with a load of stabilising things i don't need.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Connection problem...Server not found error, but can connect through a proxy

If it is a DNS problem try using the OpenDNS servers to see if it fixes it https://www.opendns.com/start/
xist
Grafter

Re: Connection problem...Server not found error, but can connect through a proxy

Ok so that worked (Thanks), but doesn't explain why i suddenly need to make this change.....is it normal for a DNS screw up if you put too much strain on a slow connection? Actually why would my DNS suddenly start to fail?
Since i never had any issues with the auto assigned plusnet DNS's before would it be advisable just to switch back to those after my connection has been stable for around a week and my IP profile is back to normal?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I would stay with the OpenDNS servers as there are a few reports creeping in with diverse problems so I suspect the problem isn't resolved despite the service status report saying it was
xist
Grafter

Thanks jim....is there a reason why the Plusnet DNS allocations are going screwy of late, or is it just "that time of year"? Will have to do some searching to get a better understanding of how the DNS actually works and what affects it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have no idea why it is going wrong but have a read here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,77567.0.html
xist
Grafter

Thanks for the help Jim....sorry to be a bother with such a simple issue, i really appreciate it as up until this last couple of days i was happily unaware of DNS problems and if i'd have known a bit more i could probably have had a go at fixing this myself. Your time and dedication on these forums is really valued, as i know how easy it can be to get frustrated on help message boards. Thanks again, you're a gent and a scholar.  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That's what I am paid for - at the grand rate of zilch per hour  Grin Grin
Seriously though there are always other users on these boards who will try to help - usually very successfully