cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping - what to do next?

kathykate
Dabbler

Connection keeps dropping - what to do next?

Hi all, I had a major problem with my internet connection for around 4 months from Jan -April, it was a high resistance fault and was the devil of a job to sort, speeds were pitiful at 245mbps down... after they located the fault and fixed it I had the devil of a job to get speeds back up, but did eventually after a few calls to Plusnet. Settled at approx 5500mbps up so very happy.
However, past month connection has started dropping regularly, quite a few times a day. Speeds are not dropping though, which I'm grateful for - I'd rather have a fast connection when I've got it! I've sat on the problem for a while as I'd had a belly full of sorting the last problem, but now it is starting to get annoying. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect manually through logging on to the router, sometimes that doesn't work and I have to unplug router briefly.
The router is only about 3 months old (Thomson TG585 v8 software 8.2.7.8), but I do have my old Netgear around which I could try to see if it's the router's fault.
I had a ferret about and found these stats in the router below - could someone take a look and see if they can see a problem and even better a solution? I also took a screen grab of event logging which I'll try to attach, maybe that will help too.
Thanks all!
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime:
0 days, 0:09:08
DSL Type:
G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:
944 / 9,760
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:
444 / 7,512
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]:
517.00 / 2.73
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:
12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:
22.0 / 37.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:
20.5 / 10.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):
TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):
262,143 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):
393,222 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):
0 / 96,406
CRC Errors (Up/Down):
207 / 574
HEC Errors (Up/Down):
243 / 14,573
15 REPLIES 15
Laser
Grafter

Re: Connection keeps dropping - what to do next?

If I'm reading those figures correctly, your line should have no trouble at all holding a connection of at least 7Mbps. The SNR is good, but the error numbers are very poor.
You could try swapping out any ADSL filters you have (and of course making sure you've remembered to fit them to ALL phones, faxes, alarms, ringers, Tivos, etc...)
kathykate
Dabbler

PS would like to attach screen grab .png of my event logging but insert image button doesn't appear to be working.
kathykate
Dabbler

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Threads merged and duplicate post removed
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes that event logging is very helpful as it confirms you have a dropping connection.
When you say "Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect manually through logging on to the router", do you mean you click on the "Disconnect" button in the Internet box, and then click on it again when it's saying "Connect"
If so, this is only dropping your "ppp" session to Plusnet and not affecting your line sync to the exchange. I'd suggest you do the following now -
Login to the modem/router interface and click on the "Disconnect" button - this terminates the "ppp" session to the ISP (not sync to the exchange) as mentioned.  Wait a good minute after the button changes to "Connect" (refresh the page to be sure).
Then power down the modem/router. Wait a good minute before unplugging the modem/router or it's filter from the line. Then swap the filter if you have a spare, then wait 10 minutes before you power up again.
4 reasons for this suggestion, the Local(upstream) Error Seconds are enormous for the short uptime, this could suggest a faulty filter. Powering down the modem/router will reset all the statistics, so we have a clean start, and the procedure helps the exchange DLM to not think you have a worse dropping connection than you have, which might result in Banding or a raised Target SNRM (Noise Margin) which would result in a slower speed. 4th reason I've sent a PM about.
Post some more stats as soon as you are on line and then some say after an hour.
Edit: Always follow that procedure when you want to swap things about.
kathykate
Dabbler

Anotherone asked:
'When you say "Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect manually through logging on to the router", do you mean you click on the "Disconnect" button in the Internet box, and then click on it again when it's saying "Connect"'
Yes, that is what I mean.
However, I have now followed your advice to disconnect completely, have switched in another filter (although the old one came as new with the new router 3 months ago). I've screen grabbed three lots of new stats as not sure which ones you want but seem unable to post them, what am I doing wrong? I go to additional options and attachments, browse to the files and select them, press post but nothing happens (I'm on a mac by the way). If someone tells me where I'm going wrong I'll upload them.
Anotherone: I have followed your advice re pm you sent me (I hope).
Thanks all for input!
Anotherone
Champion

You could paste the stats straight into a post. If you saved them as text files, you can't attach text files unfortunately, so just open each in turn, select all, copy and paste in a post. Try the first on by itself to make sure it looks right after posting, then do the others.
kathykate
Dabbler

Anotherone
Champion

Apart from the edit I've mention in the last PM, Yikes, those errors for just under 7 minutes uptime are horrible.
Can you hear any crackling or other noises on your phone line when using the phone?
kathykate
Dabbler

Sometimes I hear crackling. At the moment, not.
I hope it's not the return of the dreaded HR line fault! That drove me nuts...
Anotherone
Champion

Well it sounds possible, and as I expect you know cr*p phoneline = cr*p broadband.
Who do you pay line rental to?

Next time the noise is present, do the disconnect procedure for your modem/router and then plug a known good corded phone direct into the test socket and confirm the noise is present. Phone and report it whilst the noise is present and try and do so before there is an incoming call - ringing current can sometimes "clean" a bad connection and the noise disappears for a period. Tell the Call taker that you are plugged into the test socket with a known good corded phone. Don't mention the broadband otherwise you may get given the run around. Get the call taker to confirm they can hear the noise,  request them to log that fact and the fact that is intermittent.  Request that that detail is passed to the Openreach engineer. These requests are important to make sure you don't get a No fault found bill if an engineer can't find a fault, but if the engineer is aware it's intermittent they should know a few things to check if they are any good.
kathykate
Dabbler

BT is my line rental. I know all about the difficulties of getting this type of fault sorted, 3 months it took last time, and that was only a few months ago. I don't know if I've got the strength to go through all that again! But your advice is all good and I shall heed it. May post some more stats tomorrow. Off to bed now.
Anotherone
Champion

Oh dear, best of luck talking to Mumbai then when the time comes  Sad
kathykate
Dabbler

Just thought I would say.... since I did a proper disconnect and restart as you told me to almost two days ago, I haven't had one line drop, been solid ever since (holding fingers crossed behind back and muttering promises to the Gods...)
Here are stats
Uptime: 1 day, 23:15:46
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,152 / 11,224
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 8,301
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 107.72 / 1.61
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.5 / 37.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 12.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0