cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection issues and slowdowns

simon_in_kent

Connection issues and slowdowns

I have a standard ADSL package. I normally get about 7Mb/s download and 0.3 Mb/s upload. I am happy with those speeds. My issue is with the occasional slowdowns, I find the connection very flaky and for a few minutes a few times a day the speed drops to unusable speeds.

My wife is home more than I am during the day and she just gives up with the wifi and uses her phone 4G as the slowdowns annoy her too much. I was working from home today and at around lunchtime it went slow for about 10 minutes and I couldnt get any work done.

During these slowdowns we are still connected to the router so it isnt an issue in the house, the issue is at the plusnet end.

I was previously with Sky and didnt suffer any issues like this so I have concluded the issue is at the plusnet end. Does anyone else suffer these issues? What is the solution?

Thanks,

Simon

6 REPLIES 6
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Re: Connection issues and slowdowns

Hello @simon_in_kent

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your speed through wireless. I have updated some settings on your line and if your wireless speed is still affected after 24 hours, the steps  here will help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
simon_in_kent

This isnt just a wireless issue! When it went slow yesterday lunchtime I was on a wired connection.

What settings have you changed on my line? Are you able to monitor drop outs on my line?

I have already tried a new wireless channel but this doesnt help. I am sure I am connecting to my router OK, it is the connection between the router and the internet that is dropping out.

Thanks,

Simon

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @simon_in_kent

I have updated your ticket here, with what settings I have reset and how it will improve your speed. In terms of your connection, the odd drop here and there normally is not a sign of an issue and the latest drop was due to myself testing the line. Bar that the connection looks stable for the last 7 days as you can see from below.

image15167904514859

If you experiencing regular drops throughout the day on a wired connection you can go through and raise a fault here. In regards to wireless we would recommend you try all channels as a few of them may not be the optimum channel for your devices and environment.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
simon_in_kent

Thanks for that, fingers crossed your tweak fixes the issues I was having.
Thanks
Simon
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @simon_in_kent

How have you found your broadband connection over the last week? Have things improved?

Happy to investigate any further issues if you get in touch.

Best Wishes,

Dave

simon_in_kent

I think things have generally improved since you tweaked my SNR setting but I still suffer the odd slowdown/drop. If you could have another look that would be great as it really would be great if I could improve the stability of my connection a bit more.

Thanks

Simon