cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection intermittently drops. Uploads eventually kill the connection. No home phone

FIXED
AliA
Dabbler

Connection intermittently drops. Uploads eventually kill the connection. No home phone

My internet has been having trouble since I started with Plusnet which has slowly deteriorated. Hoping someone can help.

Currently we seem to experience several "DSL Down" errors on the router's admin panel each night (last few days). I've not seen any corresponding issues on the Plusnet status page so I don't think the problem is widespread.

Any time we try an upload a file, the connection slows and eventually becomes completely unresponsive.

everything is broken.gif

We've had to set up our PCs to only run cloud backups when at work in order to stop the network being completely unusable.

---

Other bits:

This is with the router plugged into the test socket etc.

We don't own a home phone so can't run a quiet line test but it feels like there is a problem on the connection. When we were BT customers and experienced similar problems (which we never got to the bottom of) I'd borrowed a phone and was able to hear pops on the line. Unfortunately I can't get through the Plusnet troubleshooting tool without answering about the phone questions.

Any way someone on here can get me through to a person who can help?

(Even as I try to submit this post, the connection dropped againsave me.PNG

Please send help.

3 REPLIES 3
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Connection intermittently drops. Uploads eventually kill the connection. No home phone

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

We've tested your line and we can see that there are periods when your connection becomes very intermittent as shown below

Our line tests are also showing your download sync and upload sync speeds are quite low as a result also shown below

xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 18.3 33.5
SNR Margin: 12.5 3.3
Errored Seconds: 0 3
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 347945 5602471
Speed: 312 6650

Finally, our tests are picking up an issue known as a "High Resistance" fault. This can sometimes be internal so if possible are you able to try a new microfilter and get back to us so we can retest the line? If the high resistance fault is still there it'll most likely mean that an engineer visit to the property would be required

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AliA
Dabbler

Re: Connection intermittently drops. Uploads eventually kill the connection. No home phone

Thanks for the fast reply Matthew - really appreciate it!

I've switched out the microfilter this morning and am still seeing issues. No dropouts yet and I can keep an eye out for them if required, but when there is an upload taking place I'm not even able to run a speedtest.net check (never seen a "Latency Test Error") before!

latency.PNG

Fast.com check worked and came in at ~520kbps.

Do you want me to keep monitoring it or is that sufficient to warrant the engineer visit?

Thanks!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fix

Hi there, 

I've tested the line again and we're no longer seeing the high resistance fault that Matt mentioned. However, the connection does seem to be dropping quite heavily still so it would be a good idea to arrange an engineer visit as the next step. I'll drop you a reply to ticket 186819441 about that shortly. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team