cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drops frequently... REIN?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Connection drops frequently... REIN?

OK, I've just been through that lot and made a few minor corrections/changes as noted in Edit: in the post. I see you've got Shows all times in UTC/GMT selected. Can be confusing with BST, but your choice, no problem.
The Web Server seems to be running fine and the graphs are looking great at the moment. I'd like to see a Tx noise Margin graph when you have a 2hr one saved. You can attached it to a post using the Additional Options button.
The Rx SNRM graphs doesn't appear to be suffering MW/AM or other interference Smiley Those odd little blips are par for the course.
Back later.
Timmymac
Grafter

I think I'm somewhere close to that config now..  will take another look tomorrow.  Thanks!
Tim
Anotherone
Champion

Ok, let me know if there's any settings you don't like and why and if I had a particular reason for them I''l let you know. FYI the 10 second sample time and 2hr graphs is so that as much detail as possible is shown...... atm your Tx Noise is a bit messy, but that is not that uncommon, we'll have to see how it goes.
Right at this moment plotting seems to have stopped.
Anotherone
Champion

Just to let you know that it did start plotting again last night and was OK. I can't access the webserver atm which I suspect is due to you having had a PPP drop with an update to your Current Line Speed, so your IP address will have changed (unless you are on a fixed one).
If so, from what I recall of the sync speed that was visible on the webserver which was around 15k or something which would give an IP Profile/Current Line Speed of around 13.2 perhaps.
Whichever, when you next post can you post the full DSL stats for the TG582n (link in my sig) - just copy and paste them into a post.
Timmymac
Grafter

Not sure why webserver not accessible..  stopped logging for most of last 2 hrs too.  However, think IP is same.
Edit: internal IP of rs device had changed. Still not really logging anything though.
ink Information
Uptime: 0 days, 13:05:20
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.087 / 15.207
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 707,10 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15,2 / 30,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,7 / 5,3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 13 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 153 / 185.580
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 49 / 18
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 62 / 198
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Tim,
well I've just manage to access the webserver again no problem now, but it's stopped plotting again. A quick click on the Stop button and then on the Green Start arrow should fix that.
The DSL stats are good, certainly on the downstream, very good, as I said before the US Tx noise looked a bit messy and there are some CRC errors on the US but nothing to get too excited about, we'll keep an eye on this.
What version is the firmware on this TG582n?
Anotherone
Champion

RS not liking something there, the plotting is tits-up again Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I suggest setting an alarm in RS on the condition of zero synch speed for more than 1 minute.  The siren on mine can be heard throughout the house... Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Timmymac
Grafter

Had to go to work... That last spike is me stop/starting. Will have to wait until I can have a proper look at logs
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Townman
I suggest setting an alarm in RS on the condition of zero synch speed for more than 1 minute.  The siren on mine can be heard throughout the house... Cheesy

He's not losing sync and I gave the suggested alarm time settings in reply #44 (apart from the sync speed). Why on earth do you want to wait a minute to discover you've lost sync. I, and I would guess most others in a monitoring situation would want immediate notification, hence the 1 second for sync. But as a small aside, the alarm isn't much help when you are away at work!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The point is that RS thinks synch is lost due to its internal message processing problems; in that situation what is or is not happening in the real world is quite irrelevant.  The fact that the monitor thinks synch is lost (due to internal failure or router admin interface sleeping) is all that needs to be considered.
Sorry I missed your alarm setting in your loooooooong post, but did that omission warrant this response?  It's obvious that the alarm is no use if no one is there to hear it (so is there a need to state the obvious?) but it is useful when someone is there.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Oh I see you are nit picking again and trying to tell me things I know. The same comment applies when RS has gone tits-up, why do you want to wait a minute, there is no logic in what you suggest, that was the reason for my reply and the fact that you didn't read carefully what I'd already taken the trouble to post. You know jolly well that the set up of the full RS is a lengthy process to get the best out of it.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Tim, in case you hadn't spotted (or intervened), it's plotting again now. All looks as before.
Timmymac
Grafter

Didn't have to do anything. Just seems to have woken up!
So the finger is pointing squarely at my other kit at the moment? Strange, as the modem and router are both new, replaced because I was getting an intermittent service with the last ones.
Could there be something inherently 'bad'(for my line) about using a separate modem?
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, your other kit was what I was starting to think BUT I am still sitting on the fence a bit. As mentioned the US is rather messy which might suggest an impending intermittency. The trouble with intermittent connections is just that they are intermittent.
I think we may possibly have had a combination of factors. The bell-wire being connected would have enabled quite some interference to be picked up.The proximity of that electrical stuff may not have helped in this respect. It's possible that there is something about the kit that may either be faulty or the modem may have some weird incompatibility with the line card at the exchange. Out of curiosity, has that modem got the latest firmware? It's not using a separate modem that's in itself an issue.
Is there any work going on at your local exchange - like upgrades for Fibre? Put your number into this checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and see if it shows a date for Fibre.
Have there been any major electrical supply works going on in the area? This list could be a lot longer Wink