Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drops after incoming call, OK after outgoing call

edrandall
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Connection drops after incoming call, OK after outgoing call

I am working at home this morning.  
My line is normally OK giving 12-14Mbit down except after rain, when it becomes intermittent, dropping and reconnecting.
This has been going on for years and was improved with a new OpenReach Mk2 faceplate last year but is still not perfect.  
I just put up with it, because I know that no-one will ever be able to fix it short of laying a new wire to my house.
Just now I received a cold call from overseas, which I unfortunately answered.
The line was terrible and in any case I didn't want to buy any olive oil from Italy.
Having got rid of the caller,  I returned to the computer to find that the connection had dropped.
Nothing I could do would make it reconnect. I rebooted the router several times, and finally power-cycled it, but still no joy.
The line sounded slightly intermittently noisy, though it often does and I've put this down to the sound of the ADSL modem trying
to reconnect leaking through to the voice line very slightly.  It's always done it, with the old faceplate and the new one.
Then my daughter said, "can you turn the phone line off and on again as well", which of course I can't but it gave me an idea.
I phoned my mobile from the landline, let it ring a couple of times, then hung up.  Just to reset the exchange you know?  Cool
Whatever you think, coincidence or otherwise, it worked.  The ADSL immediately reconnected and the line is quiet again.
7 REPLIES 7
edrandall
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Connection drops after incoming call, OK after outgoing call

Whoa!  Same again, incoming call, not a cold caller this time, connection dropped.
Outgoing call, connection restored.
This is kind-of borderline hilarious.
Yep, checked it again a couple of times by calling the landline from my mobile, then back the other way again.
It doesn't drop during the incoming call, but maybe within a minute of the call ending.
After that it simply will not reconnect.
Make an outgoing call and it reconnects straight away though.
picbits
Rising Star

I've seen similar happen before and it has been an issue with the card at the exchange.
You might also want to try another microfilter to see if it helps but I suspect it is an exchange issue.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's worth double checking the filter, but from the sound of it this may be an exchange/line-card issue. Our faults team will get this looked into and update you on their findings.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Are you on a long line? There is an issue on some BT exchanges with longer  lines and incoming calls. In these circumstances an incoming call generates excessive  FEC's ( Forward error Connection errors) in the ADSL signal and this results in the router not being able to maintain a synchronised connection . If you isntall the program "router stats" then you can monitor the router an see this happening inreal time annd save a log  . You can download router stats  here : http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm where there is lots of advice on how to tackle all sorts of connection issues.
It is due to two different sets of equipment in the exchange which is not compatible and they can't change it until the exchange is  which delivers the phone There is a fix: Ihad this issue for ten years and dozens of BT engineer visits before a tenacious engineer finally identified the fault and found out how to fix it. Report it and don't give up until it is fixed.
I would also keep on reprting the fault you recognise in rainy weather  as this will be due to a poor joint somewhere on the line  that is causing an earth fault, but leaks badly when wet gets in . This can be tested for, even in dry weather ,  and the positon of the fault identified on your line to within 100 metres.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I suspect all this talk about exchange line cards is irrelevant. This sounds like an intermittent/bad joint or intermittent break in the line somewhere. Any problem with the line is a Phone fault. Reporting a broadband fault will likely not get the issue properly dealt with. Who is your line rental provider?
First though, you should check the Mk2 vDSL plate isn't causing an issue by removing it and connecting to the test socket with a dangly filter. But initially plug a corded phone direct into the Test Socket.
Quote from: edrandall
This has been going on for years ............I just put up with it............The line was terrible

Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? (eg. the phone rings, then stops, but the caller is still on the line when you pick up?).
Receiving and making cells on the line are typical situations that temporarily clean a bad joint so the line becomes momentarily quiet (and your ADSL works).
If need be, use the Quiet :Line Test 17070 option 2.
gingerbloke
Grafter

I had this fault a few years ago, and it's recently started happening again. As the other poster says it will not be solved until an engineer armed with the right equipment turns up. Back in the day, it was called a TDR but I'm not sure what they use today. Effectively, it showed the live status of the line all the way back to the exchange and you can see 'spikes' where the joints are bad, especially on windy/wet days. He identified two areas of damaged cabling (one was tree-rubbing, the other was a junction box issue). Prior to the engineer calling with this equipment we had 6 previous inneffective visits from BT engineers so be prepared to stick to your guns Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You are quite right there gingerbloke. The TDR tester that used to be used was a Hawk tester.
My personal view is that either the equipment they are issued with today doesn't come with the relevant module to do a proper TDR test (or it's not as good), or they aren't trained on how to use it properly or ignore some of the information it gives Shocked
But nevertheless a good engineer will persist and deal with obvious potential joint problems and do pair swaps as well if needed.