cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping on FTP.

Dobalina

Connection dropping on FTP.

Hi there, just registered now to ask this.
For quite some time now, (6months+) I have had the problem of my ADSL connection dropping when i connect to an FTP server or torrents.
I don't even have to download/upload any data, just making the connection will make the ADSL connection be lost (the ADSL light on the router will go out).  I have to reset my router to get it back again.
Sounds like a problem with the router, but this is my THIRD router and they've all experienced the same problem.  They handle it in different ways, the first 2 would automatically reset, this one stays on but with no connection, and i have to manually unplug and replug the power. (It's a D-Link DSL G624T and i connect through wired ethernet, the wireless is switched off)
Sometimes the connection drops 5 seconds after making the connection to the FTP server/torrents, and sometimes i can upload/download for half an hour before it drops.
The ONLY thing i haven't changed is my physical line, and connection to PlusNet.  As i said i've been through 3 routers, and have 2 months or so ago built a whole new PC, so it can't be a specific hardware fault.
Any idea what the problem is? I can't help but think it's a problem with the physical line/Plusnet.  It's just FTP over the internet too, i can happily FTP between LAN PCs through the router.
2 REPLIES 2
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Connection dropping on FTP.

Well, the fact nsome some of the modem reset would disprove an issue with PlusNet (as in our network, configuration or information sent to you), and the fact this appears restricted to FTP and Torrents, strongly hints away from it being the line (you would be expecting it to be any data).
It's not clear from your message if all three routers are the same make/model.
If they are, this would strongly suggest it is a firmware bug within the routers code.
I had a similar issue once with one device, in that one of it's security functions would block all traffic on the connection for 30 minutes,i if somebody used a secure website.
I would advise investigating the use of an alternate model or brand, to help disprove this, or look for firmware updates for your modem to see if this is a known issue with the device.
Dobalina

Re: Connection dropping on FTP.

Hi,
The brand of the routers have been all different.  First, a Thompson(sp?) that i got for free with a previous broadband signup,  then a ZyXEL Prestige, and now this D-Link.
Yes, i would have thought it would be on all data too.  I thought the problem was with uploading data quickly, but i can upload files through an HTTP form with no issues, and run a voice/game server fine.
What could it possibly be in the Router? And for them all to do it with different makes? Bit of a coincidence isn't it?
I'm sure I've tried updating the firmware on this router as well, although that may have been with the ZyXEL.
I'm pretty competent with everything, and i know what most to all settings in the router do, but there's nothing that i can see that might help this problem.  And as i say, it's not blocking all traffic, it's losing the ADSL connection completely and sort of crashing, as i can no longer access the config screen or anything until i restart it.  A fault with the router maybe, but a fault with all 3 routers? Again, that's incredible bad luck!