cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping every few minutes

suebev03
Dabbler

Connection dropping every few minutes

Hi there, I recently switched my mum's internet connection over to Plusnet from O2 as I'm moving to university soon and she'll never use more than 10GB.
However, a problem that we had with O2 which eventually (after several phonecalls and a BT engineer visit) solved itself seems to have been brought back by switching ISPs.
The event log from the router is saying that "xDSL linestate down" and "PPP link down (internet)" occurs almost every minute, then the connection will be okay for 5 minutes or so, and then disconnects several times again. Up until last night, the connection had been fine. Faster than O2s at least. Now I'm having to check the router status as I type this so that I know when to post it. I reset the router earlier with the pin in the back, which made no difference and then reset through the admin interface too, again no difference.
I've been through the broadband troubleshooter which just said that someone will get in touch.
I'm not sure what O2 or BT did to fix it. The engineer replaced our old phone socket on the master with an Openreach filtered internet and phone socket. Not sure what difference that makes to your equipment though. I don't really understand what's so difficult about ADSL that causes poblems like this. If only cable wasn't so much more expensive.
Just checked and it's disconnected half way through typing this. Not sure what I can do? Bit peeved because we missed out on the 12 months half price deal as well... by a few days and was told we'd have to cancel our contract and sign up again to get the better deal than our 6 months half price.
EDIT: It disconnected again whilst trying to post. Tongue I've attached the event log and connection details if it helps.
29 REPLIES 29
suebev03
Dabbler

Re: Connection dropping every few minutes

Just a quick update, it's been connected at 10Mb for half an hour now after constantly disconnecting since last night. I'll update this again if it starts disconnecting over and over.
suebev03
Dabbler

Disconnecting constantly again after being on for 14 hours overnight. Can only connect at 3-4mb now until it disconnects.
It just connected briefly for about 30 seconds but when I tried to refresh Chrome, I got the screen that I've attached. I know technology has advanced a lot in recent years, but I didn't think it'd get to the point where my mobile phone has a better internet connection than my computer...
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Definitely sounds like a dropping connection, I've had a look and it seems there's still some questions you need to fill in at http://faults.plus.net? Unfortunately everything needs to be answered there or the ticket won't be passed through to our faults team.
If you could finish that our team will get onto it for you, but regardless I'll check on things for you in the morning and advise further.
Hope that helps, and sorry to hear you're having problems with the connection.
suebev03
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the reply.
It's been connected at 3MB for 19 hours now. When I started disconnecting like crazy yesterday, I went downstairs and rearranged where it was and moved it away from the cordless phone and extension cord. Not sure if interference can make that much of a difference though.
Should I still complete the questions? With it disconnecting so much in the last few days, I'm guessing the exchange will keep my speed at 3MB or so for 72 hours?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I have placed a SNR reset on your line as it does appear that your line is stable at the moment. This can take up-to 4 hours to take effect.
I would leave your setup as it is at the moment.
If this does not have the desired effect then it would be worth completing the initial questions.
Let me know how you go.
Chris
suebev03
Dabbler

Been disconnecting again whilst I was at work and now. I'll complete the questions as soon as it stays on long enough for me to.
EDIT: I'm up to the question about testing with a different router. I don't own another router. I've only had your TG582n one plugged in since last Tuesday. It's telling me I may be charged if the fault is with my equipment... but you own the router... so it's your equipment, not mine. How do I proceed?
Might be worth noting now that O2 sent a BT engineer out when we had this problem with them and they found no fault with our wiring or socket, but he replaced our master socket with one of these prefiltered ones anyway just to be sure: http://www.selfhelp.talktalk.net/nte2000a.jpg
I don't know what he did at the exchange, but the problem solved itself soon after.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you don't have a spare router to try all you can do is answer "no" to that question and add a comment to say you don't have access to a spare one to try. Then press on. Don't worry about the potential charge for an engineer visit. Plusnet won't send an engineer if they feel the router could be the problem - and in this case might offer to lend one for testing purposes.
Try to get the questions completed so the ticket is submitted and the Faults Team will have the basic data needed for carrying out more detailed tests on your line.
David
suebev03
Dabbler

Okay, I've finished the questions and submitted it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Thanks for that - it's with our faults team and we'll get you an update following the testing as soon as we can.
suebev03
Dabbler

Just had a voicemail left on my mum's phone whilst she was at work, asking us to try a different filter before they arrange an engineer visit.
It's plugged into the BT Master socket which is prefiltered since the last BT engineer visit about 6 months ago. Is it worth me taking the plate off and trying one of the plug in filters in the test socket?
I'm also pretty sure BT will have a record of their previous visit. I'm no expert, but I'm 99% certain the cause of this isn't the master socket in our house (It wasn't last time). Won't they refuse to visit again in such a short space of time?
Edit: Seems like they are: "As such I would like to arrange an engineer visit, but our suppliers have chosen to investigate the fault further first."
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Definitely a good idea to try with a 'dangly' filter in the test socket.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
millinx21

Hey Suebev03,
Just to let you know you are not alone in your problems.
Take a look at this thread: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107572.msg918954.html#msg918954
Im watching both threads to see what outcomes are made Smiley
suebev03
Dabbler

Quote from: w23
Definitely a good idea to try with a 'dangly' filter in the test socket.

I would have thought a prefiltered socket does a better job than the dangly ones? Considering the BT engineer fitted it to try and resolve this problem with O2, I doubt it would be that causing any issue.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Most importantly it rules one more thing (filtered faceplate) out of the equation.
It's not unknown for them to be faulty and using the test socket will help to convince BT that all necessary tests have been done.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.