Connection Problems

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Connection Problems

Hi,
This is anything but stable!
The speeds are all over the place (refutes banding!) as is the SNRM.  You need the router stats evidence.  Yes it works over wifi.  I run it 24x7 on my laptop.  It helps to have evidence of an issue, when the problem happens, rather than trying to get evidence from the next event.
Frankly I would dispense with the modem stas and speed tests for the moment.  Until this REIN is addressed, you are only going to stand still at best.
Watch out for the REIN being at its highest (very low SNRM) and then power off the router for 10 minutes, then power on again.  This will give you a lower speed but hopefully a more stable connection.  It will also clear all of the error counters - which are very high!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I wouldn't bother switching the router off and on since it's already connected at a slower speed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi ejs,
It is presently running faster than the previous 4792 Kbps and I also wanted to ensure that the error stats were all zero, so that there can be no confusion about LOS, ES (etc) counters after the resynch to achieve stability during the presence of the REIN.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's only running a little faster than 4792 - the 5144 was clearly attained while the interference was present, both of those speeds are far less than what the line should be capable of. Clearing the error counters for the benefit of people unable to subtract one figure from another is not worth the extra resync IMHO.
Bookworms
Grafter

By 'stable' I meant that I am at least able to connect and surf the web in the presence of REIN.
The REIN is actually audible as a loud hum on AM/MW at the moment  - I wouldn't have been able to post this previously during a similar burst.
I think maybe I will try reconnecting the router to see if the error count goes down?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: ejs
Clearing the error counters for the benefit of people unable to subtract one figure from another is not worth the extra resync IMHO.
Nothing to do with the ability or otherwise to subtract numbers.  Some of the counters reset on resynch, others do not.  A power down reset removes all ambiguity and makes calculation of mean time between events somewhat more fool proof.
@Bookworm,
In your language then, stable means remains connected and having a reasonable responsiveness during the presence of REIN.  Responsiveness requires a low transmission error rate more than a higher synch speed.  In your situation I would reluctantly accept that you are going to have to opt for the slower synch speed in the hope it remains connected through out and the lower error rate results in fewer retransmission delays.

Bookworms
Grafter

Well I logged off the router and disconnected but the REIN stopped a few minutes later...sod's law!
I waited an hour but still no REIN and I really need to use the internet so I had to reconnect.
It's quite possible the REIN will not return for several hours.  Undecided
I guess I'll have to get going with Routerstats.
TG stats after reconnecting *without* obvious presence of REIN:
------------------------------
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:02:53
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,124 / 8,832
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,123 / 8,182
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 13.00 / 54.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 40.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 230
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
-----------------------------------
redsetter
Grafter

I've had login problems with a belkin router,the only way was to go down stairs and unplug/replug the router,lately it hasn't happened.the only thing i have kept the phone unplugged lately too i noticed.
Bookworms
Grafter

Well, I finally got around to installing routerstats.
I've had it running for about 36 hours or so.
Having had a quick look at the graphs, the Rx noise does seem to coincide with humming on the radio.
There are quite a lot of options, it's a little daunting at first glance.  Shocked
Is there an option to create a graph for the entire time-span that it's been running so far ? 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You can change the interval / points per graph to get a longer window, but that will mask the detail of what is happening.

Bookworms
Grafter

I'll upload a few graphs.
The first is typical of most of the weekend - very little if any noise present.
The next shows an odd spike of which there were one or two.
The last two show a typical weekday evening pattern, and coincides pretty much exactly with the 'hum' on AM radio.
Hope this helps!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Wow, these really do show just how bad things are.  Can you adjust the Rx noise axis so that the Max value is around 20dB please.  Keep these graphs running, they will be useful if you ever get a proper REIN engineer out.
The downward spikes which show synch as zero I would suspect to be logging failures - RouterStats got no response from the router.
It is the massive shift down and up we need to be concerned about.  Right now you have synch'd during the presence if REIN so the lowest SNRM you see is circa 6dB and highly variable.
When the REIN stops the SNRM shoots up off the graph.  Changing the axis scale will show how clean things are in the absence of REIN.
@CRT,
Where is this issue with BTOR please?  There is now clear evidence of massive interference with telecommunications systems in the AM spectrum.  Who is responsible for managing the issue please?  Ofcom rules seem confused on the matter.
Kevin

Bookworms
Grafter

Here's a graph for this morning. I've adjusted the max value to 21dB.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I & my neighbours had a serious REIN problem a few years ago. The BT engineers traced it using an old AM radio with D/F. The source was a faulty Sky box.
Bookworms
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
I & my neighbours had a serious REIN problem a few years ago. The BT engineers traced it using an old AM radio with D/F. ..

D/F = direction finder?
I'm not sure that would work here as the REIN can be picked up all along the street where the copper wires run beneath the pavement.
Having read a few other threads about REIN on the forums, I'm guessing they'd have to isolate each line one-by-one to pinpoint where it's coming from.
I'm not sure how feasible that would be.