cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Problems

Bookworms
Grafter

Connection Problems

I mentioned on the 'outage' thread that my connection has at times been very slow / intermmitent over the last week.
I assumed it might be connected with the general outage but to avoid derailing that thread I'll post my stats here.
I did a BT  quiet line test.
With everything disconnected except a phone at the main socket, I could hear a faint, steady hum on the line.
I tried two dfferent phones - same result.
I assume that hum shouldn't be there, though whether or not it's affecting BB, I don't know.
Anyway, I disconnected the router from the internet and then switched it off.
I rebooted 20 mins later and things have improved a lot.
Here are the stats before the reboot:
------------------
Product Name: TG585 v8
Software Release: 8.2.7.8

DSL Connection 7/09/2014 2pm
Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 22:34:33
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 856 / 6,724
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 920 / 6,488
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 56.01 / 338.44
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 41.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 327,678 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 16 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 39,072 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2,254 / 1,031,872
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 749 / 3,686,599
===========================
AFTER REBOOTING MODEM:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:16:09
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 952 / 9,272
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 959 / 9,176
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 409.00 / 3.13
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 20.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 197 / 112
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 184 / 69
------------------------------------

Rebooting usually resovles connection and speed problems, but I don't why.
165 REPLIES 165
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Connection Problems

Well your sync speed  (Bandwidth Down) is now much better and is quite reasonable for the attenuation of your line. I suspect your line suffers from some interference from time to time.
Was that a corded phone plugged into the main socket when you heard the hum, or was it a cordless?
When you say plugged into the Main Socket, was that a Test Socket? If not, tell us which type of  Master Socket do you have.
Do you have any extension phone sockets, and where are you normally plugged in?
Can you run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image). Also your Current Line speed (Login required),don't post your phone number.
Do all your Microfilters look like this and do you have a spare one?
Bookworms
Grafter

They were normal corded phones. I didn't remove the faceplate of the master socket (it's an old BT one - at least 20 years old). I plugged a phone into it with everything else (including my router) disconnected.
The bell wire was disconnected a long time ago.
It's a very faint steady hum.
The fact that rebooting the router resolves the problem makes me think it's more likely a router/software problem rather than a line issue per se, but I'm no expert.
I've not had any major problems for some time - it was really only following the big Plusnet outage of last week that I've experienced big slowdowns from time to time - web pages either not loading or taking an age to appear.
I currently have the wirelss on the TG585 switched off.
I don't particularly want to go down the entire test routine just yet as, due to the layout of the house,  it isn't easy for me to connect my PC directly to the test socket.
Just to add I did the BT speedtest yesterday and go these results (it wouldn't let me cut'n'paste):
Download speed = 5.63 Mbps
Upload = 0.77 Mbps
ping = 28.25 ms
I'll do another one in a minute for comparison.
Bookworms
Grafter

Here are the results of the latest advanced BTW test (I was unable to run it earlier):
----------------------------------------------------------------
Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
5.65 Mbps

7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 5.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.72 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.76 Mbps

0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.76Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, the first stage of the BT test is a Flash embedded thing that you can't copy and paste  The Diagnostic output you can, as you've discovered.
I expect your Current Line speed (Login required) will be 5.7Mbps.
So it sounds like you have some extension sockets, how many? Is the bell wire disconnected from all of them? Can you have a look behind one of them, one not where the modem/router is plugged in so as not to disturb it, and tell me what colour the wires are that are connected to terminals 2 & 5.
You didn't mention about the filters I asked about?
I suspect what is happening is you are getting a burst of noise of some description, it could be an intermittent line issue or some interference being picked up, internally or externally. If it causes a loss of sync which your first stats suggest and the resync occurs whilst the noise is present, you get a lower sync speed and so lower throughput.
This slight hum may have some bearing on it, but I'm not ruling anything in or out at present. Apart from answering the questions about the sockets, wiring and filters, can you also look at which firmware version is on the 585v8 and also whilst you are there, can you log into the 585 and go to the Internet box and click Disconnect the PPP Internet session. Wait about 30 seconds and then click Connect.
When that's all done, can you post the current full DSL stats and also run the BTw Diagnostic Test again and post the new results from that.
Bookworms
Grafter

Hi and thanks for taking time to look at this.
I think I already posted the Software version earlier:  8.2.7.8.
Yes I have extensions but the bell wire has long since been (neatly) disconnected from all of them.

The filters are all as pictured on the Plusnet page in your link.
Nothing has recently been  changed or added to, the wiring all appears to be solid.
Physically speaking, it's not an ideal connection because the router is at the end of an old and longish (but BT installed) extension cable.
When you say 'go to the Internet box and click Disconnect the PPP Internet session' do you simply mean the big  'Disconnect' button, the one I clicked earlier before rebooting?
It simply states 'Disconnect' (nothing about PPP).

To be honest, I don't want to risk disconnecting at the moment - not at least not until I've caught up with some online business I need to complete - the connection is ok at the moment and I don't want to lose it again just yet!
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, didn't look back for long enough to spot the firmware version  Embarrassed
Please tell me about the colours of those wires connected to terminals 2 & 5 though, I want to eliminate as many things as possible. The length of the cable will not have any bearing on things if the wire colours are ok.
The big Disconnect button, yes if IIRC correctly that's the one on the 585, you need to do it because your profile has not updated to the new sync speed, it should be 8.1. Disconnecting and then Connecting will cause it to update.
So Disconnect the PPP Internet session. Wait about 30 seconds and then click Connect.
When that's all done, can you post the current full DSL stats and also run the BTw Diagnostic Test again and post the new results from that.
Bookworms
Grafter

Hi, sorry for the late reply.
The  wires are standard white/blue/blue/white.
To be honest, if there is a fault with the wiring, I think it's more likely to be the external wiring and/or the terminal block.
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been updated since the 1970s.
The block looks like this:
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/large/BT18.jpg
The wire leading off it is partly covered in ancient black insulation tape.
At the moment my connection seems fairly stable, though I've only done some light surfing today.
Latest router stats  [08-09-14 @ 19:45]
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 5:56:49
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 928 / 9,260
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 923 / 9,176
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4.30 / 16.19
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 3.5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 236 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 262,142 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 524,293 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 144 / 2,468
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 91 / 3,004
Anotherone
Champion

Yuk, I used to have one of those BT18's. I had it replaced as soon as I started having problems with Dial-up Internet many moons ago.
Have you dared look inside it? Is the wire leading off, underground or overhead?
Anyway I was wanting to check your internal wiring was twisted pair, that's fine.
I see you've had some more LOS and a lot of Error Seconds, but you won't have had a PPP drop (unless you've instigated one yourself). Has your BT IP Profile gone up? And you are definitely not hearing any line noise apart from this hum?
Who do you pay line rental to?
And do you have a spare modem/router?
Bookworms
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
... Has your BT IP Profile gone up? And you are definitely not hearing any line noise apart from this hum?
Who do you pay line rental to?
And do you have a spare modem/router?

Earlier this year I switched line rental from BT to Plusnet ... Roll_eyes
Profile is up but connection not too speedy at the moment.
------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW test 9-09-14  11:50pm
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
3.01 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 8.09 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.72 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.72Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Router Stats: 9-09-14 00:05
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 10:18:01
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 932 / 9,136
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 923 / 9,176
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 9.51 / 34.65
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 236 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 262,142 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 22 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1,478 / 191,153
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 127 / 95,525

Bookworms
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Yuk, I used to have one of those BT18's. I had it replaced as soon as I started having problems with Dial-up Internet many moons ago.
Have you dared look inside it? Is the wire leading off, underground or overhead?

The incoming wire is from underground. I haven't looked inside - too scared. Shocked  Smiley
It's shared with the house next door - in fact it's on their side.
Anotherone
Champion

I'd have a chat with your neighbour and find out if they are having any problems with their phone line (noise of any kind) or broadband, and who they pay line rental to. If they are having problems with the phone line a co-ordinated report of faults would be a good idea. Tell them if they are having a broadband problem as well as line noise, to report a line fault with the same remarks as you will make, but not to mention the broadband unless it's the same provider for both.
I would Raise a Fault anyway on your phoneline reporting the hum and the fact that your next door neighbour also shares a prehistoric external connector box not sealed from the elements. By the time the ticket gets through the system, you may have spoken to your neighbour.
You can add after that they also have noise on the line if that's the case.
But you can also add to your ticket that it's causing some intermittent issue with the broadband resulting in huge numbers of errors.
I assume that you do not have or want Interleaving on,in which case you had better add that to the ticket, or they will turn it on by default.
Also as it appears to be off going by several of the stats you have posted except one, I'm suspicious that it could be the modem/router playing up (not aided by the hum more than likely) which is why I asked if you had a spare, or perhaps can borrow one.
btw check your Current Line speed (Login required) to see if it matches the BT IP Profile and see if a speed test is any better.
Bookworms
Grafter

That link gives:
------------------------------
Estimated line speed:    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:    8 Mb
--------------------------------------------------
last few results from 'my broadbandspeed':
Today 11:30 5340 kbps (668kB/s) 759 kbps (94.9kB/s)
Sunday 20:51 7636 kbps (955kB/s) 806 kbps (101kB/s)
May 5, 13:01 4406 kbps (551kB/s) 336 kbps (42kB/s)

I have a spare router somewhere in the loft I think. Looks like I'll have to dig it out
Anotherone
Champion

Try www.speedtest.net and www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and see what results you get. That last result is rubbish with an 8Mbps profile.
Bookworms
Grafter

Speedtest gives
5.31 Mb/s upload,
0.76 Mbs Download
18ms ping

The reason I'm always reluctant to report minor faults is because I know the routine - plug the router direct into the master socket, check filters, try another router etc.
Then  report a line fault and wait an age for BTW to take action.
Which is all a bit of a pain.
The last time I reported a fault -  when I was still renting the line from BT - I had lots of noise on the line and eventually no phone connection at all.
It took weeks before they fully rectified the fault - they finally traced it to a local cabinet, IIRC.