cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Keeps Dropping

Sheffers242
Hooked

Connection Keeps Dropping

My connection keeps dropping this morning. There's nothing on the service status indicating a problem.  Currently in the 30 minute queue to talk to someone on the phone.

Any suggestions.  I've tried the obvious stuff like turning router on and off.  Router is plugged into main phone socket.  No other connections round the house.

Postcode is S7 SQ.

Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Connection Keeps Dropping

Have you confirmed the phone line is operational and quite? Got a dial home? Dial 17070 option 2 - is the line quiet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sheffers242
Hooked

Thanks, yes I've just done that.  It's a quiet line.

When I got through to technical support they said something about 'error seconds' which means they need to do further testing.

It's a wired router, plugged into the test socket all the time.  A splitter on the line with my home phone and no other sockets around the house.  The external wiring, from the BT pole to the socket was replaced a couple of years ago.

Technical support said they'd get back to me in 3 business days.

Does anyone know what might be causing the 'error seconds' problem.  The last time (a few years ago) I had a fault it was eventually traced to one of the green junction boxes.  This was after they'd replaced all the wiring to the house.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It could be any number of wiring / junction faults. It could also be faulty electrical equipment causing interference. Will need to await the results of further fault testing.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I can see we've recently raised the fault with our suppliers and we're looking into it at the moment. We're just waiting for an initial response back from them so you should hear back from us soon. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Sheffers242
Hooked

More than a week after I reported the problem and a fault ticket was raised and I've still had no update. The connection is still dropping and once again I'm in a telephone queue to technical support (13 minutes and counting).

Does anyone know what Plusnet's committment is to resolving problems (ie, timescale, updating customers?

Any suggestions on how I can get this escalated if it continues to drag on with no communication?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Use the PN Ticket link below and see if there is an update there to your fault report.

You are looking for something indicating that BT Openreach (BTOR) are on the case... sometimes they take an age to respond to fault reports ... sometimes Plusnet take an age to chase BTOR.

Sheffers242
Hooked

So, I got through to technical support.  Turns out the team member who took the call on 4 November did nothing to raise the problem with any external suppliers (in spite of emailing me to say that he had).  "He doesn't seem to have done anything with it, I can only apologise for this" was the actual wording of the guy I spoke to today.

This means the problem has been sitting there for 9 days and no one has done anything about it.

There's now an engineer booked for this Thursday.  Fingers crossed.

Sheffers242
Hooked

Engineer came this morning.  He can't find the fault.  He's gone away.  An hour later, the connection starts dropping again.

Any suggestions as to what I do now?

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm sorry to hear the engineer found no fault and your connection is still dropping.
We've not yet received a report back from the engineer so we'll need to wait until it comes through. Our faults team will be in touch when we've got more info. I suspect we may need to arrange another visit.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet