cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Dropouts

nick44

Connection Dropouts

Ok, so ive had this problem for along time now. Basically, what is happening is my line is dropping out completely for up to 10 seconds before coming back. This can happen as many as 3 times an hour or as little as twice a day but ive just had enough. I play on Xbox Live and even a split second drop of connection boots you out of any game your playing. 
It all started when my download speed was raised to 2 meg, i complained a number of times about the connection dropouts but they never found any problem with my line, my download speed has since been lowered back to the previous speed, and all was fine again for about 2 weeks, but now its starting to return to the same problem again.
I know its not the router, or any of the cables, as ive tested 2 different routers and changed all the cables but the problem persists. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this and can suggest a solution?
It must be around 8 months that ive had to put up with it now and im seriously considering switching providers as my neighbour doesnt seem to have any problems like this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Connection Dropouts

Does the problem occur when plugged in to the test socket behind the master socket?
When you use the phone is there any background noise?
You didn't mention swapping the filter - has this been tried?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paulby
Grafter

Did you test with two different makes of router or were they the same?
It's just a thought but, if they were Netgear DG834 V3's, then it may be worth upgrading to the new firmware as this fixes a problem where the modem drops out and resyncs on a small movement in SNR.
You can get the updated firmware here and a bit of background here.
If you're not using a Netgear then it's probably best to raise a fault here after trying jelv's suggestions and looking here.
nick44

Quote from: jelv
Does the problem occur when plugged in to the test socket behind the master socket?
When you use the phone is there any background noise?
You didn't mention swapping the filter - has this been tried?

Im not sure what you mean by plugging into the test socket behind the master socket.
But yes, ive swapped the filter, there also isnt any background noise on the phone either. 
nick44

Quote from: Paul03
Did you test with two different makes of router or were they the same?
It's just a thought but, if they were Netgear DG834 V3's, then it may be worth upgrading to the new firmware as this fixes a problem where the modem drops out and resyncs on a small movement in SNR.
You can get the updated firmware here and a bit of background here.
If you're not using a Netgear then it's probably best to raise a fault here after trying jelv's suggestions and looking here.

The routers ive tried it with have all been Linksys routers. Ive looked around for people having problems with Linksys routers and never stumbled across anyone with a similar problem to mine.
Ive tried raising a fault a number of times now, theyve never found a problem with the phone line though.
The problem seems to occur more in the evenings if thats any help. The line can work perfectly fine during the day, but once 7pm comes round, it can start dropping out up to 3 times an hour.
paulby
Grafter

It may be worth a try borrowing a different make of router if you can (or do a swap for a couple of days with your neighbour to see if the problem follows the router?). 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: nick44
Im not sure what you mean by plugging into the test socket behind the master socket.

nick44

Ive not tried that one. But that seems abit extreme to have to do that to try and sort the problem.
The thing that baffles me is that the line worked perfectly for 2 weeks after the downgrade of the download speed. Surely that would point towards a broadband problem rather than a hardware one?
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Please do not quote the last post in full, as per the link:rules]
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You have to try that before PN can raise a fault with BT. Basically it eliminates all internal wiring/other equipment in your house. If a fault was raised and it subsequently proved that it was something in your house you will be presented with a rather large bill, so just go with it and try the test socket.
paulby
Grafter

@nick44
You'll actually have to try alternative equipment too before a fault can be raised with BT as per the page I linked you to (this one).
Surely that would point towards a broadband problem rather than a hardware one?

Not necessarily - if you've got an intermittent hardware fault then it can disappear for two weeks quite easily and can be difficult to diagnose.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The fact that the connection drops more in the evenings could point to some sort of interference from other equipment. You do have everything else plugged in to any phone socket filtered? Unfiltered Sky boxes are a not un-common problem.
nick44

Well i'll give the test socket a try then.
Nothing else is plugged into the socket i use, but a Sky box is plugged into a different socket at the other side of the house. Could that still affect it?
paulby
Grafter

Quote from: nick44
Nothing else is plugged into the socket i use, but a Sky box is plugged into a different socket at the other side of the house. Could that still affect it?

Absolutely.  Make sure the Sky box has a filter in the phone socket it's connected to (or disconnect it from the phone socket until you get a filter).
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Oh yes, especially if it's not filtered. If it's filtered you should be alright but we've seen a fair few cases of sky+ boxes adding interference and disrupting connections.
nick44

Well the Sky Box wasnt filtered so ive unplugged it as i dont have a spare one at the moment. I'll see how it goes tonight and get back to you.
Thanks for your suggestions so far guys.  Smiley