cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting mobile to WIFI

Keypr11
Hooked

Connecting mobile to WIFI

I joined Plusnet in January and have a wired connection to my desktop PC - works fine

I cannot however connect a mobile to the router, continually shows "authentication error occurred" or in the very few moments it will connect "internet may not be available"

What am I doing wrong, reset on both the router & the mobiles will not resolve the problem

17 REPLIES 17
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Connecting mobile to WIFI

Hi there, do you get this on more than one mobile or is it just the one particular device that's struggling to connect? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Keypr11
Hooked

Cant connect any mobile

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Exactly the same authentication on all of them?

I'm just wondering if they're iPhones, Android etc?

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Keypr11
Hooked

Yes sorry I should be more specific, one android Samsung, & one iphone...no connection on either

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Which router?

Can you please describe very carefully what happens?

I have recently seen a similar issue with a printer ... long story short ... for optimal performance I set my router to n-band only on 2.4GHz ... the printer saw the SSID but could never successfully connect.  After poking around with my other AP, the printer self connected (same SSID / password).  After a bit of a review, I discovered the printer only operates on b&g-bands.

There is also the possibility of 2.4GHz and 5GHz band flip-flopping if both bands have the same SSID.  Try turning off the 5GHz band to see if they then connect successfully.

Have you attempted to reserve IP addresses for these devices in the DHCP table?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do you have the option with your phones to connect via WPS?

I had problems when I changed router recently (changed to a BT Smarthub 6 and it's soooo much better). I use Powerline adaptors with wifi built in and the phone was trying to connect to one of those using my old router details (the adaptor was closer to the phone than the router and the phone kept trying to connect to the stronger signal). Using WPS when sitting next to the router at least got it to connect and confirmed that it did work.

When I realised the issue, I reset the wifi adaptor (re-pairing it with WPS to the new router) helped solve that problem. I also had to get the phone to `forget` the orginal router/wifi extenders as it kept searching for them.

If WPS doesn't work to at least connect you, then it's another issue?

I also haven't seperated my 2.4 and 5ghz BTW.

Keypr11
Hooked

So the wired connection is fine

When trying to connect the mobile via wifi I get the following message "Authentication error occurred"

How would I turn off 5GHz band?

Keypr11
Hooked

Is there something I need to do on the router to connect via WPS?

BillyCool
Rising Star

I wouldn't worry about turning off 5ghz at the moment.

Your router should have a WPS button on it somewhere. If you go into your mobile phones wifi settings, there should be an advanced option (possibly hidden in `wifi preferences`.) You *should* see `WPS Push Button'. Select this and your phone will search for a WPS signal. Press the WPS button on your router and it *should* connect to your phone. 

It's very similar to Bluetooth - you are effectively pairing the devices.

If it doesn't work - then you may have another issue.

Wierdly - I had an authentication error on my tablet last night and I had to restart it and `forget` my router, then re-enter the password to connect.

Keypr11
Hooked

Very interesting, so has connected on WPS - but -  now showing "Internet may not be available"

so to all intense and purposes looks connected, but it isnt

BillyCool
Rising Star

So if your hard wired connection is fine but wifi is dodgey, it could be your router.

Which router do you have and how long have you had it? Is it dual band?

Is your phone picking up 5ghz or 2.4ghz?

Keypr11
Hooked

Sagemcom router

New in January

Might be better calling PN, when I have an hour of my life to waste on hold

Sorry not sure about the phone?

BillyCool
Rising Star

Are you on ADSL or fibre?

Has your phone ever connected properly to the router?

If you look at your phones wifi connection (assuming you are connected) and select your router, it should tell your your signal strength and whether it is on 2.4 or 5.

Plan B would be to reset your router I guess.

Do you have any other wifi access points in your house or does your phone stil have your old router settings on it?

You can try ringing PN but maybe also log on and raise a ticket.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Anything I can do for you to save you from having to call?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team