cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Wirelessly with my Belkin Router...

sunnyjo

Connecting Wirelessly with my Belkin Router...

Hi there
I wondered if anyone could help me with setting up my Belkin router to connect wirelessly... my speed and connection are fine when connecting directly via the ethernet cable, but then when I try and connect wirelessly it is very slow and web pages not downloading properly (words only, no pics).
Belkin router set-up at http://192.168.2.1 shows internet status as 'connected'
According to the wireless icon in the system tray, my speed is 54.0 Mbps, signal strength good and status is connected.
Router itself is a Belkin G Wireless F5D-7634-4.
Any ideas?  I'm not an expert with computers, but I will have a bash - just a little nervous of trying a router factory reset / firmware update, or maybe this would solve the problem?Huh
Many thanks!  Jo
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Connecting Wirelessly with my Belkin Router...

Hi sunnyjo,
It may be worth going to the wireless settings>Channel and SSID and make sure it's set to 54G-Auto, also may be worth changing the channel there.
Jojo Smiley
sunnyjo

Hi JoJo
thank you for replying to my query!  Smiley  I've tried altering the channels (from 1 all the way through to 13) with no success.  Is this what you mean? My only other thought was maybe that I am on an ADSL2 service and that maybe my Belkin router isn't compatible with this?  I'm pretty sure the Thomson router that I bought from Plusnet works fine wirelessly, though we will need to lift up the carpet to use it and the Belkin fits nicely in its current position (on its side, rather than flat like the Thomson router.  So I am keen to stick with the Belkin if at all possible!  Thanks again, Jo
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not sure what else to suggest really, as it's not a router I've had any personal experience with. Which kind of ADSL you are on won't make any difference to the wireless, that would only affect your connection to the exchange. I used to just stand my Thomson on it's side. It stayed there unless someone knocked it. Smiley
sunnyjo

Just a quick update to say I gave up with the Belkin in the end, but good news is I got the Thomson working just fine, followed instructions in the box.  Very happy so far with excellent connection speeds.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's great news, Did you stand it on its side? Smiley