cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting PS3 via ethernet - Router or Modem? Neither will detect a connection!

wipeoutmaster87
Dabbler

Connecting PS3 via ethernet - Router or Modem? Neither will detect a connection!

I posted a similar problem a while back and eventually went with using wireless instead.
This isn't an urgent issue, it's just baffling me a little why it won't work. When I had a combined router/modem, it was as simple as plugging the ethernet from my ps3 to the router/modem device and the ps3 detected it no problem.
Now, with a fiber set up and a seperate router and seperate modem, no matter which I plug the ethernet into, the ps3 can't detect anything.  Huh
Is there a certain 'power cycle' process I need to use, or a pattern to follow as in connecting the cables before turning anything on, or turning one on then connecting at one end or the other etc?
I've tried a couple different patterns but got nothing. This is mostly out of curiosity but I have OCD and things like this really irritate me when I can't figure them out  Embarrassed
I'd love to get it working and put my mind at rest!
Thanks guys I appreciate anyone who can help me out, things were much simpler before we got this seperate modem installed!
Grin
5 REPLIES 5
kirk
Grafter

Re: Connecting PS3 via ethernet - Router or Modem? Neither will detect a connection!

Are you plugging the PS3 into the modem or router?
Make sure the modem is connected to the router and then plug your PS3 into the router.  This should work.
If this does not work, does any device work wired ?
wipeoutmaster87
Dabbler

Re: Connecting PS3 via ethernet - Router or Modem? Neither will detect a connection!

I'll try again tomorrow and get back to you; first i tried turning everything off, then plugging the cable from ps3 to the router, then switched everything on and waited 5 minutes before trying to detect. The second time I did the same but connected to the modem instead. Neither time worked  Undecided
wipeoutmaster87
Dabbler

& I'm not sure about other devices, it's been many years since I set up a wired connection with a laptop or pc 😛
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
As far as I'm aware, all you should need to do is make sure the PS3 and router are connected by ethernet. Only things I can think of that would stop that working are:
*Faulty ethernet cable
*Settings on the router or the PS3
*Faulty router or PS3 😕
Cable's easy enough to rule out, and I suspect the router is working fine as other devices are able to connect. Do you remember putting any network settings into the PS3 when you set it up on previous equipment? If you gave it a static IP address of, say, 192.168.0.10 then it would fail as the Technicolor routers by default issue IPs in the 192.168.1.* range - perhaps that could be causing it?
reece251
Grafter

I would re train your network settings on the ps3 by going to settings then network settings then internet connection settings then choosing wired then it should automatically find it for you. If youve already tried this and its not working then the issue could be in matts last post.