cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to gateway but not dns server

mushroommrs
Grafter

Re: Connected to gateway but not dns server

Bt changed the socket some years ago - said I don't need a filter.
Quiet line test seem to be ok.
I do have a bt homehub too but I have lent it to another plusnet customer as they are having problems too Cheesy
Will keep an eye on the snrm.
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Do you have a Master Socket similar to the one on the right?
mushroommrs
Grafter

no - the one on the left
Anotherone
Champion

I should have followed up on your "Don't need a filter" comment in reply#48
Do you have any hard-wired extension sockets? Where/how is the Modem/router and phone plugged in?
That Master socket only has the one socket, unless it's had a vDSL plate fitted and there is a 2nd socket above the one a phone would go into?
mushroommrs
Grafter

No, no extension sockets. Phone socket is in our garden office. We have wireless printer/fax but not plugged into the phone line. Telephones are dect siemens gigaset sl78h. No sky or other tv plugged in.
mushroommrs
Grafter

Saturday update.
Noise margin has fluctuated between 2.8 @ 11.00am and 3..2  At 2.45pm it was 4.7. Quiet line test seemed to have an echo on it.
At 3.00pm it was 3.01 and this stayed in the 3's until 4.50pm when it was 2.9 - it is still 2.9. 
Speed test is reporting 0.73/0.36 52.75ms  Embarrassed
Anotherone
Champion

I take it the Data rate hasn't changed although you haven't mentioned it, it's always good to confirm.
OK. Hmm, First, the Master Socket is not exactly the one on the left to nit pick, as it has the Service Specific Filtered Plate (vDSL plate) fitted. A Mk1 to be precise, as the Mk2 & Mk3 have those those marks on the front.
Do you have any spare plug-in dangly Microfilters that look similar to this? I don't want you to do anything with then tonight, but probably during daylight tomorrow.
How long is the lead from the Master socket to the modem/router (roughly)? Is it an original lead that came with the modem/router?
How long have you had this particular cordless phone?
mushroommrs
Grafter

No, data rate still the same. Sorry about the master plate I knew it had the two sockets, the one in your pic had the bt logo which is what I homed in on.  Shocked I have plenty of new filters. Lead is the one that came with the plusnet modem. Maybe 2ft? Probably had the phone for 5 years.
FYI speed has been as low as 0.55 to the current 0.87. This started creeping up around 8pm. Noise margin is currently 3.3.
Anotherone
Champion

Those download speeds are not good. I assume there were no background tasks running that were using the connection at the time, eg. Anti-virus updates etc. and no-one was using the wireless connection?
This might be congestion. If you happen to be about, try a check in the morning.
I think it would be wise to try and check whether the filtered front plate has become faulty in some way, or there is interference from the cordless phones - this can sometimes happens.
Remembering what I said about disconnecting things etc in reply #32 also daylight hours in reply #43, once the modem/router is powered down and then unplugged from the master socket, unplug the phone as well.
Then remove the two screws holding the front plate and the SSFP in place and then gently remove them to expose the Test Socket?
Plug one filter into the test socket and plug the modem/router into that. Plug a 2nd filter into the phone socket of the first filter and plug the phone into the second filter (we are double filtering the phone - but you must not do that with the modem/router).
When all is connected, power up the modem/router etc and then post the stats as soon as you reasonably can.
mushroommrs
Grafter

This morning the speeds are back to around 0.93.
The noise margin was 4.4 @ 07.04, 4.6 @ 07.14, since then back to between 3.8 and 3.3. Downstream still 1376
There was nothing running yesterday evening. I live in a village, so not sure that it would be congestion?
I will put the filters in shortly.
Anotherone
Champion

The congestion could be at the exchange (VP) or anywhere on the route over the BT backhaul or Plusnet network. Living in a village or a town has no bearing on it.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mushroommrs
I have been losing connection for the last 2 hours - the Technicolor Gateway says: No Internet connection, connected to Gateway but not to DNS server? (even when internet seems to be working)

FWIW, I suffered the identical problem over the last week. After several disconnections the router appeared to be connected and working, but I was unable to connect to anything on the Internet.
Logging in to the router revealed I had a DSL connection and an Internet connection. However, the DNS servers were given as IP addresses on my internal network! Which explained why nothing was happening. Rebooting the router several times left the situation unchanged. In the end I gave up and went for a walk around the local park. When I came back the situation had returned to normal.
Anotherone
Champion

That not the case here now. The issues are sync speed lower than seen previously and Ping times varying somewhat, quite lengthy at times.
One has to go through a process of elimination of equipment at the premises before raising a fault if no other issues are found.
mushroommrs
Grafter

ok.  at 9.30 i had 0.95 up 36 down. 3.7 noise and 1376/448. I followed your instructions - new filters, unplugged phone, double filtered phone. Reconnected, got 1376/448 6.8, modem was connected, all lights on but no internet connection.
So did it all again but changed the modem lead for a new one. same sync 7.9 noise, same outcome, no internet. 
Did it all again, left the 2nd filter off (and phone) put the original modem lead back,  Reconnected got 1664/448 3.6 noise All modem lights on but no connection.
So finally have put it back as it should be, with the phone plugged in and have Data Rate(Kbps) 1408/448 rate  5.3/13 noise 16.5/12.3 power  65.5/31.5 attenuation. 
Noise rate is hovering through the fives.
I think i am losing the will to live..............

Anotherone
Champion

It's a shame that you'd not left it at the first change with the 2 filters. The filters and leads will not have affected your Internet PPP session as long as you have sync, that might have been due to a stale session not have cleared. If logging into the modem/router and checking that your username and password was correct and clicking Connect &/or Disconnect wait 30 seconds click Connect didn't work, I would have waited upto 30 minutes. You obviously have to have sync to have a PPP session, and you had sync. Never mind.
The SNRM when you used the double filters was nearer what one might expect, but the second attempt where it went to 7.9, and the 3rd with higher sync rate and lower SNRM shows there is definitely something not right, some sort of poor connection or interference with it still varying afterwards.
OK there's two more things we could try here. Without touching the modem/router, monitor what the SNRM is doing. Power off the DECT base station and all handsets and make sure you don't have any mobile phones anywhere near your Internet or phone line. See if the SNRM settles down. After a while, whilst the DECT is off, unplug it from the phone socket and see if there is any change to the SNRM.
Lastly plug a filter into the phone socket and plug the DECT into that filter and see if there is any changes in SNRM behaviour. Again after a while switch on the DECT and handsets and see if SNRM behaviour changes. Leave the DECT into the extra filter for now.