Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused!!!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Confused!!!

I've noticed that the line DS attenuation is 47 dB when you have these low US sync speeds and 46dB when it's normal, and the US attenuation is changing from 24.1dB to 23.5dB when normal. What ever is causing the US SNR to reduce by ~15dB is likely to be the cause of this problem.
Apart from this there doesn't seem anything especially unusual.
You may as well untick "Show SNR graph points" on the Bits/tone plot, it doesn't really do anything for the clarity of the graph.
Do you have a quality "Rat's-tail" filter (not an XTE one) you can try instead of your XTE 2005 plate? I assume at some point in this long saga, you tried another modem/router?
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Anotherone... Thanks for the input...
Just another resync again today, but again low upstreams.  I have tried another router, at the beginning of this sorry saga, a Speedtouch 585V7, that my parents had.  Also tried a new rats tail, before, it wasnt a 'quality' one, but a new one that was in the box my parents technicolor router came in. This stabalised things, and after a couple of weeks of this, i got the brand new XTE faceplate, which also gave me approx 3-4 weeks of stability.  I can try a rats tail again, if you think it would help..  For interest sake do you think the faceplate has gone faulty?
I think I have no alternative but to raise a fault.  Current syncs are
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6535 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 47.0 db 24.0 db
Noise Margin 9.4 db 23.7 db
I am suspecting another joint issue, or an exchange issue (This is what it was 2 yrs ago, when I had the exact same issue)
Digi team.... once I have raised a fault ticket can you pick this up, as it needs to be resolved given the length of time its been going on.  I feel an SFI engineer needs to vist.
Anotherone
Champion

I'm wanting to eliminate the possibilty of the XTE which has a couple of transistors in it, being the potential cause, not necessarily because it's gone "faulty", but if it's saturated with RF it could misbehave. If that was the cause then the solution would be to use the passive updated version of the ADSL v1.0 plate, the NTE-2005 which has IDC terminals for filtered and unfiltered, or if you don't need unfiltered extensions just use the BT ADSL v1.0 plate.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks....  Just raised a fault, may as well start the process off  Roll_eyes
Just saw you had replied, and tried to login to the community site, but lost sync.  Nothing odd going on, but I picked up the phone, as it was resyncing, and for a few seconds it was quiet, then all hell broke loose, a loud crackle, and then noises like someone dragging their fingernails down a blackboard. This went on for maybe 5seconds, and then all went absolutely silent.
This time upstream has stayed up at 440
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6475 kbps 440 kbps
Line Attenuation 46.0 db 23.8 db
Noise Margin 8.9 db 21.5 db
I will unplug the XTE, and put a filter on.  I actually still have an ADSLv1 faceplate, thats what was on before.  I thought it had gone faulty....
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Rats tail replaced xte2005. Interestingly, its the adslv1 that was in there when this whole saga began. I assummed that it was this that had gone faulty...  Anyhow, now we wait Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion

As you know, it's process of elimination and a lot of OCD  Sad  Crazy
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, dont i know it Crazy  out of interest, i thought the xte was meant to be superior to the bt ones, due to the transistors... 
penfold
Aspiring Pro

had 1 resync around 1am this morning, but upstream stayed at 440.  Had another at 13:30, after plusnet did a line test.  Things seem much more stable with the passive filter  Undecided Undecided
Ran some margin graphs and attached, upstream SNR is all over the place.  Quiet line test, hear some variable pitched hissing, but I also made a call, and the Up SNR dropped to almost zero, and crackling started for a few seconds and then stopped.
Anotherone
Champion

I'd attach both those graphs to your fault ticket. Is that behaviour repeatable at all?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I can give it a try.... Its odd, witj the xte plate, noise margin graphing was better, but aftet a few weeks line more unstable. With a normal filter, noise graphing looks terrible, but line more stable. 20hrs of uptime now. If i am getting some RF noise havnt got a clue where its from....
Anotherone
Champion

Neighbour got a sky box, or something else. Try switching off (ie removing power) from any potential sources in your place when it's at it's worst - better do that in day light so you can see what you are doing  Wink (more OCD stuff).
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: penfold
If i am getting some RF noise havnt got a clue where its from....

Have a look at this page for a few tips...
clanla
Grafter

Quote from: penfold
...  I picked up the phone, as it was resyncing, and for a few seconds it was quiet, then all hell broke loose, a loud crackle, and then noises like someone dragging their fingernails down a blackboard. This went on for maybe 5seconds, and then all went absolutely silent.

Am I wrong in thinking that loud crackles on the phone, coincident with broadband dropout, are almost certainly indicative of a problem with the line or exchange?  A bad connection or component or something of that sort?
Anotherone
Champion

You are quite correct there, that's what we all believe is the problem, but the fault has been so intermittent (this is the 3rd thread I think) that pinning it down has not been successful, no fault seems to have been apparent when the line was last tested. There may also be other issues clouding the picture which is why all avenues are being considered.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

OK, just an update.....  Still no resyncs with the passive rats tail filter in place.  Its unbranded, but new (came with the parents new techincolor router). Upstream noise margins still variable though.
I agree, I feel there is a line fault somewhere.  Last time this happened in 2010, it ended up being a line card, and I needed a lift and shift to cure it. I have looked around the house, we have no radios in the house anyhow,  Looked at the SNR graphs with the fridge freezer switching on and off, washer on and off etc etc.  Had the wireless room stat next to the router, and operated it, still no change.   The only thing maybe is that the master socket if attached to an internal brick supporting wall in the lounge.  On the other side of this wall is a double electricity socket, nearly exactly opposite the master.  Clutching at straws a little I think.....   The telephone is corded, with integral answer machine, and power.  Completely removed this, and had no phone attached for a couple of days last time, still the same...  Line was quiet this morning, but this aft, checked again, on a quiet line test, there was some hissing. It suddenly got a little louder, and then a small amount of cracking. Almost immediately it went completely silent, and I mean not mild hissing either.  I got the XTE5 thinking that as an active filter it would negate the crackling, but seems to have had the opposite effect although for 3 weeks after attaching it, had no resyncs and line completely stable.  This happened before however, line stabalised mysteriously with a passive filter, which is why I bought the XTE.  Downstream syncs have never really been affected, its always upstreams.......1st Engineer found something 150m from the house, which happened to be a joint, where the 20 or so lines from my part of the estate met a main bundle of 100 or so lines, and also switched from copper to aluminium. The then goes directly to the cab, 20ish meters further on.  (hopefully FTTC coming soon should get good speeds Crazy)  He remade this joint, and also said this is the only joint on the D side.  I feel there is another, where the dropline meets the box on top of the pole, and this has never been checked..... Will continue to monitor things.. Anything else I can be doing???