cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about BB speeds

Jdclegg

Confused about BB speeds

Can someone please explain something to me.....
I currently have a plusnet value account which states a max speed of 8Mbps
After running a speed test on my line, the report stated that my local exchange is Ynysowen (South Wales) and will provide a max speed of 4Mbps, yet the test report for my connection
was 2.2Mbps.
Is it me or is something missing here???......If I go to the shop for 20 cigarettes, I expect there to be 20 cigarettes in the box, not 15....!!!
Any help would be much appreciated  Huh
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Confused about BB speeds

Welcome to the forums.
It is a common misconception about speeds.

* 10GB usage allowance
   * Up to 8Mb speeds1
   * Free easy setup wireless router
   * Free connection
   * 24/7 support
   * No-contract option
   * Save money with referrals

note the words up to.  and that is the actual synch speed to the server.  you then get a profile speed which takes into account the overheads between you and the server, in my case I have the max synch sped for ADSL of 8128, but a profile of 7150. and an actual download of about 6500
in your case you have been given a suggested speed of 4M, but this will depend a lot on local conditions, the state of the connections between you and the exchange.
you did not say how long you have been connected for but BT put they you into a training period, where they look at your line, this can be for up to 10 days.
Prem and Pro packages can both run on ADSL2 which gives speeds up to 20M when your exchange is capable.
for more info on your connection see here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php  and your current status as far as BT are concerned do this test http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
you ca also get your router connection details - instructions here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
your PN profile here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Jdclegg
Can someone please explain something to me.....
I currently have a plusnet value account which states a max speed of 8Mbps
After running a speed test on my line, the report stated that my local exchange is Ynysowen (South Wales) and will provide a max speed of 4Mbps, yet the test report for my connection
was 2.2Mbps.
Is it me or is something missing here???......
Any help would be much appreciated  Huh

Yes pierre right most people were conned with the up to speed marketing it started with  modems that we never got the true speed.  then again it happened with broadband next will be 21cn
my BT exchange is across the road from me and like pierre i have a sync rate of 8128 but only  get 6200
it’s the Great British Con
For Britain to have an up to date/fast internet the government will take £1 a month from your landline telephone bill

puddy
chesterfield
Grafter

Even if you sync at the full 8128 - at peak times you wont get anywhere near that - and neithe BT or PN will own up to that being their fault.  You will get passed from pillar to post and asked to undertake test after test, while all along they know full well what the problem is - but they cant admit it otherwise they wont be able to charge for the products as advertised..
Im currently synced at 8128, but get rarely above 2000 download at peak times.  Its not my equipment.  Its eithr PN or BT and the problem has been ongoing for months - but have I got any answers?....
BT dont answer to customers, yet control their line, and PN are powerless to get any answers from BT either.  PN are also reluctant to admit their network is at fault, and the support over the last few years has declined to almost none existent now.  Current ticket answer time says 17 hours, and people are waiting for days.  Its just become pathetic here now.
Mand
Grafter

@Jdclegg, can you post the full results from the BT speedtest please?
@chesterfield, good to see you back, good time away? Smiley
Before you went away I said there were a couple of things we could try, the first being Max Premium, if you're happy for me to do this I can arrange it for you now?