cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration Management Screen (CMS)

coulstock
Dabbler

Configuration Management Screen (CMS)

My Broadband connection was recently activated and I have a BT Voyager 2091 Wifi hub connected by ethernet to a desktop. On first connecting and entering my username& password the BT Voyager Config Management Screen appeared correctly and everything worked OK. ie I 've got broadband on my desktop ( automatically on power up) and my laptop Wifi sees the hub and also connects automatically.....so everthing is great . However I would like to security enable my hub so only my laptop MAC address can connect to the Wifi....I would assume I could do this through the BT Voyager CMS but how do I can I display it again ( I've only seen it once) or is this the wrong approach ?Huh
4 REPLIES 4
Emma
Grafter

Re: Configuration Management Screen (CMS)

In order to access the configuration page again all you need to enter in the address bar is voyager.home or 192.168.1.1. In order to setup the wireless network and to ensure security please see http://www.plus.net/support/hardware/pc_voyager_2091.pdf for the pdf setup guide.
Any wireless equipment can connect to your wireless as long as it is security enabled, you would then need to enter a password in order to connect.
HTH
Emma
coulstock
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice. Yes I was going to make the WiFi security changes via ethernet from my desktop and then  connect my laptop after I'd done this. However I'd thought hard MAC addresses were a pretty good security
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

On a related matter:-
If I have a weakly secured Wifi network and I use it to enter bank details etc into a https (secure website), can passwords entered via keyboard and transmitted via wireless be extracted by somebody sitting with a laptop outside my house?
I suspect the answer is Yes - but I'd appreciate confirmation!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Well this is really a Linux (Ubuntu) question.
I'm pretty new to this wireless thing.
I'm using the native (Atheros) drivers.
Originally I ran it with NO security.
Currently it is running with weak WEP security.
I know how to use WPA by using Windows drivers (ndiswrapper) - but this seems a very retrograde step.
I think my Windows XP lap top can use the supplied drivers to do WPA.
Is there a resource I can access that will make this easy for me?
BTW I have a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit Ubuntu.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."