cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible routers with fibre.

flaminmoses
Grafter

Compatible routers with fibre.

Is it an idea to make a list of routers people have had which work with the service....and maybe point out issues or things which may help???
Asus rt-n56u.....works well with fibre although with the increase in speeds to 70odd mbs ive noticed gameing has been more difficualt even with the pro added.
Linksys E4200v2 (no dd-wrt firmware available).....web pages wont or rarely load....really not sure this is compatible.
10 REPLIES 10
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Compatible routers with fibre.

Any router that:

• Has an ethernet WAN port

• Support PPPoE

should be fine...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

There's an article from a few years ago about ADSL2+ compatible hardware http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/adsl2-hardware/ as mentioned though any router that supports the relevant service (ADSL/ADSL2+/fibre) is fine.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Any router that:

• Has an ethernet WAN port

• Support PPPoE

should be fine...

Beware. There are routers that may tick those boxes, but are not powerful enough for the faster fibre speeds. I have a spare US Robotics 8004.  It's an older router and the specifications say that it will run up to 100Mbps, and it will...PC to PC across the Lan.  However it will only manage 20Mbps Wan to Lan.  When it was new these kind of speeds were acceptable for most Cable connections (all that we had before fibre), but no longer.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
flaminmoses
Grafter

really need to do some homework here
some say they are for bt fibre but then dont have wan lol
some dont tell you their wan is only 10/100......hardly future proofing.

i have the rt-n56u right now and didnt want to stay woth asus but the upgrade to 1gig wan looks the way to go.....also the ac wireless version will come in handy very soon.

it was a toss up between that and the vigor 2850
pwatson
Rising Star

Humble pie time  Embarrassed
My FTTC connection has been enabled today and I can't get my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running DD-WRT to connect.  Limited hunting suggests this is to do with CHAP authentication not being supported by DD-WRT...
Gareth6
Grafter

Another for the list, the TP-Link WR2543ND. A massive upgrade to the Technicolor which wouldn't go above 'G' speeds, unless you were within a metre or it. Were it struggled to transfer files at 30Mb/s it's now 85-90Mb/s. In my conservatory I can stream HD content where before I had to tether to my phone because the wifi signal was so poor. Comes with 4 GbE ports and the user interface is MUCH easier to work with, oh and it's only £50.
I will never understand why Plusnet bundle such a rubbish router with 80 meg broadband, naive indeed...
Quote from: pwatson
Humble pie time   Embarrassed
My FTTC connection has been enabled today and I can't get my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running DD-WRT to connect.  Limited hunting suggests this is to do with CHAP authentication not being supported by DD-WRT...

CHAP's? You should be using PPPoE.
pwatson
Rising Star

PPPoE still uses CHAP for authentication and my limited reading up suggests that the implementation within DD-WRT has had problems in the past.  My router wouldn't connect so I flashed it with OpenWRT instead and all is well...  Smiley
peterb99
Grafter

I have the same TL-WR1043ND router as you. I'm using DD-WRT build number 20453 and it connects to Plus Net without any problems.
Does your router have a serial number beginning with 12?  There is a known issue with DD-WRT and these routers with a serial number beginning with a 12. When you upgrade it to DD-WRT it disables the WAN port which stops the connection.  There is a workaround for it though :
http://nearlydeaf.com/?p=1109
pwatson
Rising Star

Interesting - Thanks
I was on an earlier build (19432 I think) so perhaps they fixed the authentication issue...  I've read of the WAN issue but my router has been running fine using DHCP from a Virgin cable modem.
I'll bear that build in mind - OpenWRT isn't quite right for me (there isn't an 'easy' way to configure site blocking) so I'm going to try Gargoyle before going back to DD-WRT
flaminmoses
Grafter

the ASUS RT-AC66U naturally works.
just got this.
mind you it took me 2 hours to work out that the bleeding thing had no firmware in and was in recovery mode from the box grrrrrrr.
had to download the latest firmware and the firmware restoration on the disc uoploads it on the router.
might not be ideal for novices to work out (it took me 2 hours lol)
will report back in the next few days to comapre it to the old rt-n56u