cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming up to one week at 28k. WHY can't the IP profile be given a nudge?!

racquel
Grafter

Re: Coming up to one week at 28k. WHY can't the IP profile be given a nudge?!

Quote from: Anotherone
racquel or jon if you can answer my PM about the direct url for the stats that could be very useful.

Done! Apologies for not replying earlier; gmail is sending more stuff to spam than usual.
I wonder if you can hear any audible noise on your line at the moment, certainly get a fault raised, preferably a phone fault, but whichever ring Plusnet and get them to do a copper test now whilst the line is as it is.
I guess you may have heard the weather forecast for tonight/tomorrow,  you never know, that pole may come down  Wink
I certainly wouldn't have described it as not dangerous leaning at that angle by the way, I would have said IMHO I consider it to be dangerous  Shocked

Line seems OK at the moment.
Guess what? Them having said that it wasn't a problem, I come home this afternoon and there's a lorry with a new pole on the back getting ready to take the old one out!
They've certainly picked a day for it; the wind is blowing a gale, it's bloody cold for June, and as for the rain...  ugh!
Haven't had a disconnection lately; and here's some lovely stats for you from just now (08/06/2012 15:21)

Line state	Connected
Connection time 1 day, 7:27:57
Downstream 3,424 Kbps
Upstream 832 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 13.9 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 49.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 18.9 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 724 / 91
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 17 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 74
Error Seconds (Local) 16
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Perhaps they were embarrassed by pictures of the pole on a public forum  Grin
I not surprised it's bad up with you it's bad enough here. Anyway there must still be a bit of noise on the line there somewhere as the noise margin has gone down, but no change in sync speed since the last stats. Obviously best to wait until they've finished messing with poles and cables before seeing what to do next, you may have to raise a fault of course  Sad
I'm sending you another PM with something to try.
Anotherone
Champion

PM now sent, it's a bit long  Huh
racquel
Grafter

Hello! Been a bit of a week, just about had time to do the occasional speed test. Replied to Anotherone's PM re router stats, but appears to only work on a V1 homehub.
Hello; well, as you can see, we're still not really stable - I've updated the ticket with this info below, but thought I'd post here in case anyone had any more ideas.

After the engineer visited, we had a reasonably acceptable sync of about 5, profile of 4 and download speed about 3.8.
We're back down to an IP profile of 2 on a sync of about 2.5.
The spreadsheet is also still updated at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmkhuHmI5mk1dHpMNE13WWxobGo0dWFtMWMxSnFSRWc#gid=2
And the line stats are:
Line state	Connected
Connection time 2 days, 6:12:22
Downstream 2,528 Kbps
Upstream 832 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.3 dB / 7.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 49.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 17.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 958 / 126
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 25 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 120
Error Seconds (Local) 61

I've had a taste of the dizzy speeds of 3.5Mb/sec. To have that, along with iPlayer, Lovefilm possibility etc, and then lose almost half of it is frustrating!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see the ticket is still in hand with our faults team, although I can't see any disconnections on the 14th on our logs that might have caused the profile to be lowered so I suspect it was errors on the line. I realise this must have been asked before, but have you heard any noise on the phone line at all?
The other suspicion is the new pole requiring further work to be done that might have caused the interference. If that was the case things should pick up again once the work has completed, and provided the line stays stable we could request another SNR reset and let the line retrain.
I suspect the best thing to do would be to let the faults team know if there is any noise and either way to see what their tests show up before making any further judgements. I hope it does pick itself up though.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi again racquel and jon,
I've replied to your PM.  Are you still plugged into the test socket?
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
I realise this must have been asked before, but have you heard any noise on the phone line at all?
The other suspicion is the new pole requiring further work to be done that might have caused the interference. If that was the case things should pick up again once the work has completed, and provided the line stays stable we could request another SNR reset and let the line retrain.
I suspect the best thing to do would be to let the faults team know if there is any noise and either way to see what their tests show up before making any further judgements. I hope it does pick itself up though.

Are you still plugged into the test socket?

To answer both questions: No noise on the line, BUT... the test socket was put back together again and I was plugged in "normally".
I'd forgotten about this, so: disconnect, wait 5 mins, unplug router, unscrew socket, plug into engineering test socket, plug router back in and lo and behold, connected at 4099k rather than the 2528 previously (see router logs below).
18:49:04  19 Jun	PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ESR11.Manchester6)
18:47:19  19 Jun xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 4096 kbit/s, upstream: 832 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.7 dBm, Up: 11.9 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 48.0 dB, Up: 29.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 7.0 dB, Up: 12.1 dB)
05:58:59  16 Jun xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 2528 kbit/s, upstream: 832 kbit/s; output Power Down: 17.8 dBm, Up: 11.9 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 49.0 dB, Up: 29.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 7.0 dB, Up: 11.9 dB)
05:58:43  16 Jun xDSL linestate down
01:01:05  1 Jan PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ESR11.Manchester6)
01:01:02  1 Jan xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 3584 kbit/s, upstream: 832 kbit/s; output Power Down: 18.4 dBm, Up: 11.9 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 49.0 dB, Up: 29.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 7.0 dB, Up: 12.0 dB)
Software version 8.1.H.U (Type A)

Line state	Connected
Connection time 0 days, 13:09:16
Downstream 4,096 Kbps
Upstream 832 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 9.3 dB / 7.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 48.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.7 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 11
Loss of Signal (Local) 1
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 6205851 / 8
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 58 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 2
Error Seconds (Local) 141

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.88 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4.1 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
Anotherone
Champion

And as long as that Connection rate is maintained, it will take a couple of days for the Profile to recover.
I'll get back to you with another thought I have.
racquel
Grafter

Oh...My..GOD! We've got SPEED at last! Hurrah!
Got about 4Mb from Speedtest.net, slightly slower from BT Speedtest as always, but just look at those numbers!

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.76 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.14 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5 Mbps

Line state	Connected
Connection time 0 days, 3:52:52
Downstream 6,144 Kbps
Upstream 832 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 5.7 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 48.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.7 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 23
Loss of Signal (Local) 2
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 918 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 17
Error Seconds (Local) 908

If I can keep these numbers, I'll be well happy! Does all look good to everyone?
Anotherone
Champion

Hey, that's looking better. Do I guess an engineer may have been fixing joints in your line after they put in the new pole?
Now, what was it I said in reply #39, well you've got a rather bit more than that 96kbps. In fact that looks really good if it holds ok.
It does look as though the Target Noise Margin has been reset back to 6dB.
Before doing or changing anything, are you still in the test socket?
Now, you never answered my question from reply #55 which could become very important for you to maintain a stable connection when you go back to your normal setup
Herein lies another related problem. In reply #47 when I originally read it, I didn't see any picture of the wiring. On the picture that is now there, not only can I see a Green/white trace & White/green trace wires going to the rear of the faceplate coming from the back of the box, but there is the white sheathed cable coming from below the box. Can you elaborate on what is going on with this wiring and what wires are connected to which terminal numbers?

Edit: I replied to the PM the other day, have you got it?