cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming up to one week at 28k. WHY can't the IP profile be given a nudge?!

racquel
Grafter

Re: Coming up to one week at 28k. WHY can't the IP profile be given a nudge?!

I've just corrected the graph - I was showing average windchill with the label of average temp. I've now added average temp along with lowest windchill.
Not that it makes a lot of difference,  but the reason for this is that although windchill doesn't affect objects, only things like skin which evaporate, it's an indication of combination of wind and temperature.
So where the windchill is low, it indicates wind (obviously!) and it's all wobbly overhead cables round this way.
Now, at this time, as you can see, the temperature is starting to pick up a but, however, it's rained on and off for the last 3 days, and the IP profile is still stuck at 1.5Mb with a slow connection rate of 1.7 Mbps.
So still well under half, even though it's warmed up (a bit!).
Just waiting for Plusnet to call back for my weekly check as promised...
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's the wrong kind of snow on the line again  Grin    sorry couldn't resist  Embarrassed
On a more serious note, it depends on where your line actually goes, and whether you went passed it and noticed whether there was any snow hanging from or weighing on any particular section of line, whether that would gives any clues?
(All this whether, sorry for the pun!).
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I reckon your phone line goes intermittent as the copper contracts

Hmmm, this is interesting...
Today was a scorcher - well, relatively for Wales! 17 degrees compared to the normal 12 of the last few weeks, but also hot, hot, bright sunshine from dawn.
Now, have a look at these last 4 speed results - look at that jump from the normal 1.7 to 5.7Mbps, but also I'm still stuck at 1.5Mbps profile.
19/05/2012 13:22:00
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.82 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.76 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1.5 Mbps
20/05/2012 18:00:00
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.39 Mbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.76 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
21/05/2012 08:10:00
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.41 Mbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.86 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
21/05/2012 19:55:00
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.4 Mbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.79 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)

Despite the fact that I tell every BT engineer who visits, about all the wonky poles down the road (none of the guy wires ever get fixed) this one in particular is leaning more each day and it clearly being supported by the actual phone cable, not the guy wires.
Could it be that the pole is stretching the wire, and where there's a joint further up it goes OK when it's hot? No crackling though...
What do you reckon of this angle?

Although the engineer is actually due again tomorrow morning, I might add this into the Plusnet ticket too...
Anotherone
Champion

Quick, whilst you've still got that connection speed post those ADSL LIne stats from your modem/router so we can see sync speeds, noise margins and attenuation.
racquel
Grafter

Dammit, didn't see your post - hope you meant the fast speed! OK, but first, have a look at this - the weather data has updated for yesterday, and once again, check the speed following the temp....

And here's Mybroadbandspeed to confirm

Right, here's the router as of 7am on 22/05/2012
Line state	Connected
Connection time 0 days, 8:22:14
Downstream 4,576 Kbps
Upstream 832 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.4 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 48.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 11
Loss of Signal (Local) 1
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 1040 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 1967

dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Shame we hadn't seen stats when it was bad to compare, but based on that line attenuation there is no reason why you shouldn't get that coonection speed all the time which would give you a 4Mbps profile. The line might even be capable of doing ½Mbps faster.
When the engineer comes ask him when are they going to deal with the pole that's about to fall over? (after he's got your line fixed of course!)
racquel
Grafter

When the engineer comes ask him when are they going to deal with the pole that's about to fall over? (after he's got your line fixed of course!)

I'd start with "you're not going to believe this but...", but you probably will. Apparently, just as BT Wholesale and BT Openreach are separate entities, apparently there's "no method" for the engineer to report a wobbly pole. The only way it'll get fixed is when it either falls right over or tilts so much it breaks the line. Amazing, eh? And I have no reason to doubt him; he seemed very knowledgeable and otherwise helpful, and I'm sure that if he could have, he would have.
So, he came and found 2 more faults, one of which was the fact that the previous engineer had re-mounted the connection block on the pole upside down so it got moisture in it again when it rained, which, I presume, also dried out when the sun hit it. Hence speed following temperature. We've got a good connection rate now - can I assume that the IP profile will automatically follow the connection rate back up according to this table over the next day or so or do PN need to give it a nudge? Speed seems good - I suspect the download speed isn't that good for this test I did this evening as my laptop has gone ill and I couldn't do a "wired" test; this particular on is via full strength 802.11g. Still, indicative that things are on the up,  which is good, and it's good enough to run iplayer!
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.63 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.63 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4 Mbps
Anotherone
Champion

Hi racquel,
Well I'm glad the engineer found those faults for you, that's an even better sync speed than this morning  Smiley
Apart from the fact that the 'l'  from your [ur=  in the link is at the end before the first ], I wouldn't worry about fixing the link because That table is wrong
but yes, your profile will follow in about 3-4 days for that smallish change.
Now I'm afraid this is going to p you off -  that nice 5632kbps sync is 64kbps short of giving you a 5Mbps profile  Shocked
If you see this tonight can you post the current stats from the modem/router and in any event post the morning modem/router stats in the morning and I may be able to give you a tip.
racquel
Grafter

Quick reply; yesterday evening sync speed fell a bit, but I also noticed he'd plugged the master socket back in. We always gain about a mb by unscrewing the socket and plugging it back into the engineering socket (despite BT having found the internal wiring to be OK and fitting a new face plate which SHOULD boost rather than drop speed?)
Here's last night with faceplate on, vs this morning with dangling wires....
23/05/2012 07:18:00
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.68 Mbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4.93 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
23/05/2012 08:20:00
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.65 Mbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.63 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)

And here's a pretty chart!

Sorry I didn't see your post before I reconnected, so the stats are just since I took the faceplate off:
Line state	Connected
Connection time 0 days, 2:05:51
Downstream 5,632 Kbps
Upstream 832 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.3 dB / 7.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 48.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.7 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 11
Loss of Signal (Local) 1
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 38 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 7
Error Seconds (Local) 529

You say the IP table is wrong: What aspect is wrong? I've often referred to it in phone calls and no-one has ever questioned it. If I can stay connected at 5.6, what IP SHOULD I be getting?
Incidentally, I just wanted to thank you for all your help on this (that goes for everyone else in the thread too!)
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

If you compare the two tables you will see where it is wrong - the Kitz table is correct. Did you not read the Feedback post I linked?
With a sync speed of 5632kbps you'll get a profile of 4.5Mbps, but as I said in last nights post that is annoyingly 96kbps short of a 5Mbps profille, but with the current noise margin as reported by the modem/router it won't do any better at the moment  Sad
Before we go any further can I give you an important tip at this point, if you are moving things around, unplugging etc -
Please remember when doing anything where you may lose sync or need to disconnect/swap follow this procedure -
Login to the modem/router interface and click on the "Disconnect" button - this terminates the "PPP" Internet session to the ISP (not sync to the exchange).  Wait a good minute after the button changes to "Connect" (you may need to refresh the page to be sure).
Then power down the modem/router. Wait a good minute before unplugging the modem/router or it's filter from the line. Then swap whatever needs to be swapped.
Wait another 10 minutes before powering up again.
This procedure helps to prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection which can occur when you are constantly plugging and unplugging things, especially on 20CN it can trigger a raised Target SNRM just like that. I usually suggest doing this no more than 5 times in an hour, then leaving it for the rest of the day.
The change is sync speed that you experienced when you plugged back into the normal socket last night compared the test socket this morning is likely to be due there being more noise present at night than in the day and/or the internal wiring not being to the best standard, despite what a BT engineer has said. I'm afraid there are incidents where they say that it's ok when it isn't. So with the objective of checking that - whilst you are connected to the Test socket can you look at the back of the faceplate you've removed and see what colour wires there are and which terminal numbers they are connected to. Hopefully you are only going to see 2 wires connected - a Blue/white trace connected to terminal 2 and a White/blue trace connected to terminal 5. You should see exactly the same at any extension socket.
Are all the filters that you use similar to this ?
knowdice
Rising Star

The other thing to bear in mind is that modem sync speed is like the "foundations of a house", until the sync speed is stable it's not worth worrying about profiles or download speeds.
IMO sync speed, attenuation & noise margin are the things you should be graphing...

Anotherone
Champion

Having stats on the graphs might have been useful earlier on but as Racquel has been through the faults loop twice now and a BT engineer has just been (the second one - having to correct some of the work of the first); at this stage it's reasonable to assume that there isn't a fault unless any evidence pops up to prove otherwise.
Anotherone
Champion

@racquel
Shame I didn't dig up this link and post it before the BT engineer came, you could have passed him the phone number  Grin
How to report damaged BT stuff Suggest you report it yourself. If the pole doesn't have a unique identifying number on it (possibly not if it is that old) then it's probably best to identify it by counting the number of poles from the one nearer you that has a DP number on it.
Eg. the nth pole from DPxyz in a N/S/E/W direction along the <road name or number>
I'd report it as leaning and unsafe and likely to damage the cables and give you yet another interruption to your service (without going into any detail). If they ask just say your service is alright at the moment having been dealt with by your communication provider - don't give them your home number, they may look up the records and think well that's all ok now and not bother to look - give them a mobile or work number - if they try insisting just tell them it's ex-directory and they don't need it to go and look at a Pole  Roll_eyes
knowdice
Rising Star

Having stats on the graphs might have been useful earlier on but as Racquel has been through the faults loop twice now and a BT engineer has just been (the second one - having to correct some of the work of the first); at this stage it's reasonable to assume that there isn't a fault unless any evidence pops up to prove otherwise.

I don't think that is an assumption that should be made -yet- "Racquel" seems to be in a very rural environment, so, many joints, poles falling down etc.
A few weeks of stable router/modem stats is the foundation that should be built on...of course IMO  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

You are teaching granny to suck eggs.
And there is still no reason at this time to take a pessimistic approach.
Most non techie end users are only interested in one thing, their download speed. There is no point in trying to persuade them to post modem/router stats when it won't gain anything, which previously it wouldn't have done. The graphs that racquel put together did the job of convincing Plusnet that the fault needed further attention and was weather related (she was already in the faults loop).
It will be useful to post stats now for a little while to see if things are stable and whether the best performance is being got out of the line.