Did you mean: 

Citrix VPN Issue

FIXED
sniper
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Citrix VPN Issue

Hi all,

Really hoping someone can help as I have literally just moved from Sky to PlusNet, for exactly this reason.....

My current place of work allows working from home via Citrix, I can login to the portal and go to the remote desktop connection and the ica is downloaded; when I launch the ica everything works ok an RDP connection box appears etc. I put the computer details in and try to connect, but I get the computer cannot connect to remote computer error.....

Now I can tether to my phone and can successfully remote onto my machine, so I know the connection and remote computer is setup is correct.

So things I have tried/checked:

- Plus-net firewall off in account (was off as soon as i logged in)

- Disabled firewall on router

- Tried port forwarding various ports (even though I don't believe this is needed?), although all ports appear closed when port scanning; not sure if this is correct.

I am considering buying a better router/modem, but don't think this will fix my issue. I work with other people who are with Plus-net and can happily use the Citrix/Rdp connection to work from home.

Cheers

Simon

Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Citrix VPN Issue

Hi @sniper, Sorry to hear you're having VPN issues.

Generally this is out of our support remit but we'll certainly help where we can.

Firstly could you confirm what error message it is you are seeing?

Is it just a failed login box?

If this is the case, the connection to the VPN might be fine but there might be some settings on the VPN side preventing you from logging in that might need checking.

For example, is your IP address required to be registered on the VPN so you can then login?

sniper
Hooked

Thanks for the response!

I see the 'Remote desktop cant connect to the remote computer' type message.

Well I don't believe the IP address needs to be logged AFAIK, nothing has been done but I can tether to my phone and RDP onto my work machine via 4G!

I also work with other guys on Plusnet and they can connect happily, part of the reason I left Sky!

I'm unsure if port forwarding is required (it has been suggested numerous times), but if I port forward any port; port scanners still see the port as being closed? Even with all (3) firewalls turned off!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @sniper,

I'm afraid this is getting into the territory of what we're unable to support, as this seems to be either an issue relating to port forwarding or the VPN itself. One thing that we would suggest is to take a look at portforward.com to see if you're able to find a solution there. There are other VPN and port forwarding threads open on the forums and they may offer a solution the issues you're experiencing, so it may also be worth checking these out.

Finally, out community member are always quite helpful and willing to take a look at each others problems on here, so they might see this thread and offer up their own suggestions on how to resolve this issue. I hope that you're able to find a resolution to this issue soon and if you have any further queries regarding our services that you'd like to raise with us then please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to offer our support where possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
sniper
Hooked

Whilst I agree the port forwarding is my responsibility if needed, however how can I be sure that something hasn’t been setup correctly that is preventing port forwarding from working on the plusnet end!? Could spend hours and do nothing about it!
As said my friend is with plusnet and he’s Citrix rdp work fine, with no firewall or port forwarding; albeit a non standard router!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@sniper I'd be pretty sure that port forwarding is not your problem.

Having said that I'm not sure why you are having a problem at all , Citrix ICA usually just works!

I use it from home on my PN connection and from the office on a Zen and Vodafone connection without any problems. We do see occasional problems with old VPN clients and some of the PN public IP ranges but I can't see that being an issue with Citrix. The fact that your friends connection works but with a non standard router would possibly indicate the PN hub one being an issue. Problem is that it's basically a BT home hub 5 and I'm sure there'd be more reports of problems out there if that was the problem. Then again I don't use the PN hub one either!

Do you have PN Safeguard enabled on your account ?

Any chance you could borrow your friends router for a trial ?

Sorry I can't be of more definite help here , I'm clutching at straws really

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sniper
Hooked

@MisterW thanks for the response.

I believe all firewall type settings are turned off.
I don’t think I can try his, I did try looking for a old Netgear or Cisco that use to have. I may just stump up the $ for decent 11ac and pray that sorts it!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Ah! I've just realised you're not on fibre! So you have the PN hub zero not the hub one and my previous comment about the BT home hub doesn't apply. I definitely think trying another router would be useful . I wouldn't spend lots of money though if it can be helped. If you can find one of your old routers even for a temporary test to eliminate the hub zero as the problem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sniper
Hooked

Well finally my new router/modem arrived, so setup as you do, wifi performance much, much better!

However, still unable to RDP to my work machine via Citrix....surely this means something at PlusNet is stopping me?

All firewalls are still turned off and ensured that the firewall settings on the router are as well.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Simon.

Sorry that you're still having issues with your VPN.

To try to troubleshoot this further I've added a static IP onto your account which will give you a completely different IP range which should tell us if the issue is related to the IP address or otherwise. Can you reboot your router to assign the static IP to your connection then let us know how it goes please?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey @sniper, are you able to confirm if you're able to use your VPN normally now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sniper
Hooked

@Gandalf, unfortunately it’s still not working; same computer setup still works if i tether to my phone?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us Simon.

Sorry that you're still having issues with this.

I've removed the static IP now as that hasn't helped. 

It may be worth contacting the IT department of your work as the next step to investigate this.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sniper
Hooked

@Gandalf, it’s a real pain!
I have asked, and they have said nothing there end to stop it, and seeing that I can tether my phone and connect; I guess they are correct!?
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

A total stab in the dark here, plus this probably won't cause this.

But what's your current DNS settings?

Are they

Primary DNS: 213.120.234.42
Secondary DNS: 213.120.234.38

The ones we're supposed to be given are:

Primary DNS: 212.159.6.10
Secondary: 212.159.6.9

If you are on the first set, have you tried changing them on your device itself. Something like Quad 9's of 9.9.9.9 or googles 8.8.8.8 - google for how to set these on your device.

I could be leading you in the wrong direction, but like you say, it works on your mobile data, plus as you say others out there on Plusnet have no issues either.

I've been given the first set, and I'm kinda thinking some of my issues (not VPN) could be due to this now, as others also on Plusnet don't see the same as me (having issues with Plusnet sites loading slowly).

If I'm totally wrong on this, sorry in advance. But it is odd for sure!!