Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco Router compatible with ADSL2+ service

redleader
Dabbler

Cisco Router compatible with ADSL2+ service

Hi All,
I've been having problems with my cisco 877w since moving it away from an ADSL Max line, to an ADSL2+ line.
It seems from reading on various forums that there may be hardware and/or firmware issues with this router (eg. https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6183) and adsl2+ lines.
Just wondering if any of you have any other cisco recommendations, based on a working setup?
Thanks,
Leon
6 REPLIES 6
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Cisco Router compatible with ADSL2+ service

Hi Leon,
There are indeed some issues and it is recommended you are on the 0.0.26 DSL microcode, with a minimum IOS of 12.4(3)T (though 12.4(15)T is recommended).
The files needed are available for general download from Cisco. A full joint BT and Cisco briefing can be found on the following link.
http://www.cisco-bt-portal.com/iusr/DSL/Product_Bulletin_DSL.pdf
redleader
Dabbler

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the information.
Currently running IOS version 12.4(11)T with embedded adsl firmware.
Although you mention the adsl firmware should be available for general download, the cisco site will not let me download without a contract, which I don't have at the moment.
Leon
redleader
Dabbler

scratch that - a second link in the document does work.
I'll upgrade and see how it goes!!
redleader
Dabbler

An update for anyone else experience the same problem, uploading this ADSL firmware appears to have done the trick - with 20+ hours uptime now.
Leon
prichardson
Grafter

Good to hear.
This has undergone extensive use with our corporate customer base and we brief this on a regular basis to them. So I was aware this would likely help you.
One thing of note is that the router may still want to negotiate a faster speed than your line will allow. This doesn't always occur, but you will notice it if it occurs. If it does, ask us to change your stability profile from Standard to Stable or Super Stable.
This will take one working day and may then take a day or so to improve the situation. It may however cause a loss of anything form 0 to 1600kbps of your speed, depending on how it reads the errors on the line.
redleader
Dabbler

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the information.
The current sync speed is....
Noise Margin:    8.5 dB                        22.0 dB
Output Power:    20.0 dBm                        12.0 dBm
Attenuation:    31.0 dB                        15.0 dB
                DS Channel1      DS Channel0  US Channel1      US Channel0
Speed (kbps):            0            14336            0              446
Cells:                    0        61476982            0          97333070
Reed-Solomon EC:          0            58770            0                0
CRC Errors:              0            1067            0                0
Header Errors:            0              895            0                0

I spoke to one of your guys on Saturday about the fact the upstream speed was previously close to 1Mb and he said it had been capped to 448, but would reset it which I think was due today.  I'm guessing the modem will need to re-sync to pick up this change.
(I think this community account is linked to my home Plusnet line, rather than the business line to which I am referring, but I am listed as the primary contact in case you are trying to find me ;))
Leon