cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast - Technicolor TG582 fttc - does it work?

white431
Dabbler

Chromecast - Technicolor TG582 fttc - does it work?

Has anybody got a Chromecast working using the standard Plusnet Technicolor router?
I can't! Mine is a US version I think.
1) Chromecast is receiving power.

2) Device setting up Chromecast is within 20 feet.

3)  Using a 2.4Ghz network.

Network is not hidden, no MAC address filtering, UPnP is enabled as is multicast.

Two things are now happening:

When my wireless router uses channel 13(as I understand it, not supported), Chromecast is detected, setup begins, connection to Chromecast occurs and code is verified. However, Chromecast does not then see my wireless network. (only sees BT networks).

When the wireless router uses channel 11(is supported?), Chromecast is detected, but then device(laptop/Andoid phone) cannot connect to it.

I have tried factory resetting the Chromecast and it still does not work. Tried setting up from my Android phone and cannot get it to work.
Am I doing something obviously wrong????
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Chromecast - Technicolor TG582 fttc - does it work?

Try using the various wireless channels
white431
Dabbler

Tried that - not working at all.
So, I bought a UK version. Worked first time.  Angry
TORPC
Grafter

Is there a TimeZone setting (or similar) to change default to UK as opposed to the USA
Alternatively you can change that to test via the TG582n GUI
Home > Technicolor Gateway > Configuration
rogc
Dabbler

Hi
I am also having this problem with a new Chromecast (UK) version . It just wont connect . I see the Technicolor router is NOT on the list of supported routers so maybe it just wont work. I have seached the web and found  I must have these settings enabled:
Disable Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Disable AP Isolation (aka client isolation).
Enable Multicast, UPnP, & IGMP.
How do I do that with this router?
The router gives the Chromecast an IP address and everything goes fine until I try and enter the wifi security passcode. Then it says there is a problem. The passcode is correct.
Anyone able to offer some advice?
daz1107
Grafter

Sorry, can't give much help other than to say my UK Chromecast worked at the first attempt of setup yesterday, to the supplied router.
I didn't change any settings on the router, but I did factory reset the Chromecast.
grahamt
Rising Star

rogc - if the problem is occurring when you're entering the wifi security code, it's probably nothing to do with the router settings you mention above. In any case I doubt that there would be a settings problem if you've not altered the defaults for those settings. (And they may not all be important. I'm pretty sure I had UPnP turned off in my router when I set up my Chromecast - I'm not using the Technicolor router, but that shouldn't make a difference.)
Apologies if this seems like an insult to your intelligence (it's not meant as one), but have you checked that the wifi security code has indeed been entered correctly? It can be easy to confuse the letter o with a zero, for instance, or an uppercase 'i' with a lowercase 'l' in some fonts. The code is, of course, case-sensitive. I've been caught out a couple of times when trying to input security passphrases or software registration codes.
I set up my Chromecast from a tablet, and I remember that it took a few goes to work. I had the feeling that I needed to have the tablet quite near the TV in the early stages of the setup, before it was connected to my wireless network. It doesn't sound like this is your problem, but you never know.
One tip for when you do get the Chromecast working. If you're controlling the Chromecast from a mobile or tablet, make sure that wifi remains on while the device is sleeping. On Android devices you can check this in the Advanced section of the wireless settings. Otherwise you can lose control halfway through a programme. It took me a while to work out that this was the solution.