Did you mean: 

Charges?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Charges?

@kjpetrie wrote:

If customers are responsible for the faceplate of the socket, does that mean spares are available for us to purchase at a reasonable cost?

@Townman wrote:

Filtered faceplates are cheap enough ... https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/vte2015filteredfaceplate/

Note though you need to know which version of NTE5 you have A/B/C - the latter being comparatively new and very different - it is "tool-less" and near idiot proof!

I concur.

@kjpetrie wrote:

So it's not something the consumer can really be expected to identify and replace, yet the consumer is not entitled to expect a qualified engineer to replace it as part of the supplied installation. Seems a bit odd to me.

I believe an engineer would usually provide an updated socket as part of a line installation (if access is required) but unfortunately it's not guaranteed and especially since most installations now are self-install.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@kjpetrie wrote:

So it's not something the consumer can really be expected to identify and replace, yet the consumer is not entitled to expect a qualified engineer to replace it as part of the supplied installation. Seems a bit odd to me.

Seems a bit odd to me too... It is, IMO, just one of the ways (there are others) in which the present 'system' of dealing with consumer end telecomms is biased against the least able/knowledgeable in society. I have mentioned this before on here (to strong disagreement from certain elements).

If, like me, you know what it is about, you'll make sure you won't be getting charged £100 (or whatever). If, like a lot of people, you know nothing of all the rules and the technicalities, you will end up paying the £100 (or whatever).

At least the faceplate on the latest version of the NTE is purely mechanical, simple, and doesn't even need a screwdriver. So there is less to go wrong. 

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I can't know without looking at it, but that doesn't sound like less to go wrong. Plastic clips are more easily broken than screws, especially when removing things. Snap-together usually means snap off when taking apart in my experience.