cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for additional bandwidth but not rolled over!

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Re: Charged for additional bandwidth but not rolled over!

It has been changed at some stage - all in one place for a start - and is clearer than it used to be!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Anon
Pro

Thanks, that is very helpful.  Smiley
One should really spend all ones bandwidth exploring the PN site for such nuances. Shocked
Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Mad
It has been changed at some stage - all in one place for a start - and is clearer than it used to be!

But not as clear as it should be Sad
Quote from: Mad
Quote from: Anon
The issue for me is that ticking the box for extra banwidth is not just to pourchase a lump of bandwidth but is a continuos authority to keep adding bandwidth when one goes over the limit again. I knew I was near to the second lump, but did not realise that my first purchase committed me to keep going if I used it up.
I would suggest that there is a box to keep buying as and when one uses up prebought bandwidth and another to buy just the one lot.

There is in fact a way of doing that, under 'Set A Broadband Price Limit' on the 'Control Your Broadband' page.
If you have already ticked PAYG in 'Change My Usage Allowance', just in case you go over your included GBs, you can set an upper limit to the amount you are willing to pay each month. So if you set that to, say £10.99 (£9.99 + £1 for an initial extra GB you might use), then if you go over that second GB you just have your speed throttled for the little extra you use.
Hope this helps

Well when you change the price limit, you get a message saying
About your Data Transfer Watch
Changes are applied instantly. If your next monthly payment reaches your chosen amount, you will be disconnected from the Internet. When you reconnect you will be shown an information page, which will provide the option of logging in and increasing your Data Transfer Watch amount.

So I have not ticked the box in Change my usage allowance
Fixed cost or pay as you go?
You are currently: Fixed cost
If you use your usage allowance, your speeds will be restricted to 128k until the end of the billing month. If you think you might use more than your allowance, simply tick this box to get extra usage at your normal speed for £1 per GB. 

Currently, I should get restricted to 128K if I go over my current allowance.
So, Question - do we really get "cut off" if we exceed the data transfer watch, or do we get restricted? If the former, can be have the wording in the Member Centre corrected please, if the latter, not at all happy, should be restricted.
James
Grafter

Chris,
Your speeds would be restricted if you were to exceed your data allowance. If you exceed your data transfer watch, all traffic will be restricted.
You're not cut off, you just can browse webpages.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks James,
but that's as clear as mud too Roll_eyes I thought all traffic was restricted if you exceed your allowance, even at off-peak times?
Quote from: Jameseh
You're not cut off, you just can browse webpages.

And what about e-mail, downloading etc.?
Oh, and can I still do that gaming I don't do Crazy
James
Grafter

Sorry - shocking typo!
When I typed "can" I had meant to say "can't".
Anotherone
Champion

I'm confused Undecided
So if a BBYW1 customer doesn't change their usage allowance and they go over 1G, they get restricted to 128K 24/7 until the next billing month, which they may be happy with.
But if they opt to pay for another 1G at £1, and only 1G, so set a usage watch of £10.99, if they get to that limit, then they can do B.all unless they spend another £1? which may be for only a few days until the end of the month Shocked
If that's really the case, hardly BBYW and hardly fair Embarrassed
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Really? That seems contradictory as well as confusing (confused me anyway and I'm not easily confused!).
So, if you've set a GB limit (i.e. not ticked for PAYG) and go over that you don't get charged any more but get restricted speeds
but
if you've set a cost limit (equiv to the same GB limit) and you go over that you can't do anything?
geewizz
Grafter

... or you can't browse websites but you CAN email and play games but at restricted speeds?
James
Grafter

If:
- You have a fixed cost option and exceed your included bandwidth your speeds are lowered to 128Kbps.
- You have a data transfer watch set to 2GB and reach this, then all traffic is restricted.
Anotherone
Champion

But you've implied restricted to zero. Clarification pretty Please.
geewizz
Grafter

What's the difference between speeds being lowered and traffic being restricted?
Do you mean "stopped" instead of "restricted"?
James
Grafter

Yep, pretty much.
Basically, DTW is in place from the old PAYG packages and just continued to function as they always have done with BBYW.  If you're constantly going a little over your usage allowance it's always best to repay for a little extra usage at a lowered cost of 75p/GB.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, but this situation isn't for the constant going over, I'd agreed with you for that.
This is that occasional time where one is prepared to spend a bit more but not unlimited. Very unfair Cry
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

We had 3GB and PAYG for anything over that. Found we were going over more often than not, so increased this to 4GB included and have now set it as fixed till it looks as though we might start going over again, when I'll change back to PAYG.
What I do though is to keep a close eye on VMU and we ease back on what we're doing if it looks as though we might just go over at the end of the month.

So, am I right in thinking 'Set A Broadband Price Limit' is really just the old 'Data Transfer Watch' which duplicates the fixed cost element of 'Change My Usage Allowance' but in a more draconian manner. In other words, it's more to do with setting a bandwidth limit than with setting a price limit?