Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to fibre extra -> unlimited, can I do it only if I can keep IP address

jheenan
Grafter

Changing to fibre extra -> unlimited, can I do it only if I can keep IP address

Hi all,
I've currently got a static IP address (212.159.108.xxx) on Fibre Extra, and am thinking about moving to Fibre Unlimited. The static IP address gives me access to all sorts of private systems that would be a hassle to update.
The FAQ says:
I have a static IP address, will I keep this if I request an acccount change?
Yes, although in a small number of cases we will need to assign you a new IP address.

I raised a ticket on the portal, and apparently the only way to find out if my static IP address will change it to place the order, wait for it to complete, and then see if I lost my IP address or not.
Is this really the case? Can anyone explain the logic behind it - or if my IP address does change would I able to move back to my Fibre Extra and get my old IP back?
Thanks
Joseph
3 REPLIES 3
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Changing to fibre extra -> unlimited, can I do it only if I can keep IP address

Hi Joseph,
It is very very rare that you that you would lose your static IP address, however there have been instances where this has happened.
If it was to happen then unfortunately it wouldn't be a case of switching back to your old product to try and retrieve your previous IP address, it's highly unlikely to that you would lose your Static IP in the first palce, it's honestly very very rare.
Chris
jheenan
Grafter

Re: Changing to fibre extra -> unlimited, can I do it only if I can keep IP address

Hi Chris,
Sounds weird  Smiley I guess I'll give it a go then... fingers crossed!
Thanks!
Joseph
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Let me know how you get on  Wink