cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing name servers - completely.

southerncomfort
Grafter

Changing name servers - completely.

Could someone clarify this for me please?
I want to transfer an existing .co.uk domain name to plusnet - lock, stock and barrel  - I want the existing DN holders (DNS?) to have nothing more to do with it. The reason is that they are unable to provide an acceptable email service as can be read here: http://support.easily.co.uk/al/12/2/article.asp?aid=1173&tab=search&bt=4&r=0.3694269. Despite what they promise, it's been going on for too long now, and the problem is on their DNS.
However it looks as though plusnet will not allow this, whether or not I have a website hosting account with them (I don't at present but could). Am I reading this correctly? : https://portal.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/domain_hosting.shtml
Any assistance greatly appreciated.
-- Angry
15 REPLIES 15
southerncomfort
Grafter

Re: Changing name servers - completely.

Right, well the link doesn't work, so this is what it says on my existing hosting co's support page:
1173 : Delays when sending email to Yahoo or BT addresses             
Reviewed: 17/07/2007
Category: Knowledge Base > Easily > Email
Knowledge Base > Easily > Email > Sending/Receiving issues.

Yahoo handle all inbound and outbound email traffic to and from Yahoo addresses in the UK and all BT Internet addresses. The problem detailed here affects mail being sent from EasilyMail accounts to Yahoo or BT Internet addresses. This also affects mail being redirected through a domain held with Easily to either a Yahoo or BT address.
Yahoo are currently delaying delivery of emails from us, because, in simple terms, they are classifying them (incorrectly) as SPAM. This means that emails can take a few hours or in some cases, a few days to arrive.
We are working with Yahoo to resolve this issue. We are very aware that this issue can cause extreme inconvenience for many of our customers. Please be assured that we are treating this with the highest priority.
At the moment, the only advice we can give to someone who wants to send from an  EasilyMail account to a Yahoo or BT address and does not want their email to experience a delay, is to choose another form of communication. 

mcgurka
Grafter

Well, if you change the nameserver (NS records) to point to PN's servers ( I *believe* to the ns1.plus.net and ns2.plus.net), then they would control the DNS to it, all that easily is responsible for is the renewal process. (just manage the DNS from within the portal). You can have 3 domains on your account.
Or you could outright transfer the domain away from easily completely... I would recommend one of Plusnets companys, just the name (http://www.just-the-name.co.uk/transferring_in.shtml) who will deal with everything for you there.
Hope that helps.
Scott
p.s. just saw your last post, you can relay outbound from PN's mail servers if they have control of the domain also.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I'd advise you to keep the registration where it is, but change just the hosting to PlusNet. PlusNet aren't the cheapest for domain registration, something they acknowledge as well .. but for some unknown reason have done nothing about it.
Depending on the account you're on, you can have up to x domains hosted free of charge, where x is defined here.
It'll then be a case of changing the nameservers via your original registrar to what mcgurka said and you'll probably have a raise a ticket to get the hosting added to your account.
It will then appear as a domain via the portal, so you can add DNS records, etc. and more importantly so their servers know who you are so web and e-mail goes through to your PlusNet account Smiley
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yep, don't transfer the domain to PN as it will cost you too much to renew. Just change the nameservers to PN, raise a ticket and ask for the domain to be HOSTED on your account.
Or if you really want to be shot of Easily, transfer the domain to 1and1.co.uk or daily.co.uk (daily don't charge for a .co.uk transfer and is the current reg company I use, 1and1 will charge for the transfer) then arrange to host it on your PN account as detailed above.
southerncomfort
Grafter

Many thanks guys, that's fantastically helpful!  Yes I noticed plusnet were not cheap for DN renewals.
I read how to do the transfer here: https://portal.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/domain_transfers.shtml
but where is the 'domain name control tool' they mention?
I have 3 websites and about 8 domains with easily at present. They are OK for web hosting, it's just the mail, and I only really use 1 of the domains for that. So this fix will do for now, I'll move the rest later.
-
sc

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It's the Domain Names link on the left side of the Member Centre page. All transferred and hosted domains on your account will appear there with a link to control the DNS and other options on each domain.
oliverb
Grafter

Note that during a transfer your site can be down for quite a while while changes propagate, over a day.
I believe its possible to avoid this by ADDING plusnet's DNS records to the domain but leaving the original ones at the top, notifying Plusnet of the transfer, configuring the webspace properly and only then removing the old host's DNS records.
Staff: Can you confirm this?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I'm no expert, but when I've moved servers I've made sure the site exists in both places and given it a couple of days. Some will hit the old location and some will hit the new until eventually they all hit the new.
I run some phpBB boards, and what I've done is change the php config file to point to the same database on the new server, and changed DNS. This allows the boards to continue running while the transfer takes place, via both servers pointing to the same database.
Provided hosting is set up in both old and new servers, you can expect mail and web to go to either and so I'd just have your site running on both and pick up e-mail from both locations for a few days.
I don't think adding the DNS records as additional ones rather than replacing them will make a lot of difference (you'd still get hits in both places), but then again, as I say I'm no expert Cheesy
I think the key thing is to ensure PlusNet have configured the hosting before changing or adding their nameservers. If it isn't and their DNS/Mail/Web servers have no knowledge of your domain then you can expect nothing to work.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: southerncomfort
Yes I noticed plusnet were not cheap for DN renewals.

Think yourself lucky you don't have a uk.com domain, they are expensive. Angry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
southerncomfort
Grafter

Thanks again for all the advice above. I have one more question please--
I am going to change *nameservers only*. Our email goes quieter over the weekend, which makes it a good time to do this. But would the changeover still be expedited in 1-2 days, or is the weekend actually the wrong time to change nameservers for minimum email downtime?
Thanks
Grin

Ianwild
Grafter

If it is a .uk domain, we can host it on your account and it can be charged for at £1 a month (which includes all renewals and hosting). 
We aren't the cheapest for domain renewals currently, although as has been said, JTN offers very competitive pricing... Bringing JTN and PlusNet closer together is on our todo list, but in terms of priority it's not anywhere near the top I'm afraid!
Ian
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Price comparison for a .co.uk domain
PN normal renewal fee £52.88 for 2 years
PN £1/month = £24 for 2 years
JTN £9.99 for 2 years (charge £5.87 to transfer the domain to them)
1and1 £6.14 for 2 years (charge £6.14 totransfer the domain to them - renewal date extended by 2 years)
Daily.co.uk £6.08 for 2 years (No charge to transfer the domain to them)
Ianwild
Grafter

Yep - If we were doing the volumes 1and1 do, the price could be a lot lower per unit. It's a bit catch 22 but we provide domain hosting as a convenience to our customers rather than a core part of the product currently. To make that cost in we have to charge a bit more. We are also hoping to add more value to the hosting element, which will make the charge better value.
So long as consumers have a decent choice and know how easy it is for them to choose the right supplier, I think my proposal is a step in the right direction. If it proves successful, we can then be in a position to do more at a later date.
Ian
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Depressingly our company website is a .uk.com and these are substantially more wherever you go  Cry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine