cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing main account password and how it's stored/updated on my router

CyclesWithBees

Changing main account password and how it's stored/updated on my router

Hi there,
yesterday I changed my Plusnet account password via the account admin in the Member Centre (under portal.plus.net). After I'd entered the new password I was taken to a screen saying that if I was connected to the internet at that time, then my password would be automatically propagated to my router. Everything seemed to go fine, and when I opened a new browser window a few minutes later I was prompted (I believe/hope! by my router...) for my password. I tried entering my new account password and this wasn't accepted, but my old account password worked.
Two(ish) questions:
1) Pushing my new account password to my router after I change it online implies some kind of remote login to my router. I'm curious; how is this achieved? Is there some hidden login mechanism which allows remote access to my router? If so, how is it secured?
2) My router still seems to be storing my old account password. I know I can update it manually as described in http://www.plus.net/support/security/usernames_and_passwords/updating_passwords.shtml , but why did the new one not take effect despite appearing to as described above?
Thanks, and hope this makes sense Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Changing main account password and how it's stored/updated on my router

Hi CyclesWithBees,
Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forums Smiley
We use a technology called TR069 which sends updates as and when we request it to, such as updates passwords, firmware upgrades if we so wish to.
The password updating is best effort - we've had a couple of issues where this has happened, an intermittent issue (Problem: 78323 - raised for internal investigation) - sorry that you appear to have been affected by this.
CyclesWithBees

Re: Changing main account password and how it's stored/updated on my router

Cool, thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.