Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Username

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Changing Username

I've searched around on this and most solutions seem pretty old. Is it possible to do this simply now. A neighbour who I referred has got divorced and doesn't want her old surname as her username any more.
Thanks
PT
11 REPLIES 11
artificer
Grafter

Re: Changing Username

have a look in your profile.  you can change the display name, i.e., the name shown to the public.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I assume you mean the actual account username as opposed to the forum name here?
If so this is possible, but is not offered generally, as it's entirely a manual process our side. I can't see us having a problem in cases such as this though.
What you would need to do is sign up a free PAYG dialup account on our website, add payment details, then raise a ticket on the original account requesting the switch over.
Once we've done our bit your friend would just need to change the username and password in their hardware to connect on the new account.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

thanks, this is what I wanted as her email address is now innapropriate. I guess if free domains were still on offer we could do it that way but she doesn't have a lot of spare cash at the moment to pay for one. I will help her set up a PAYG and get in touch.
PT
Mand
Grafter

Most broadband accounts offer a domain name for £1 per month if this is any use?
Failing that the new account is the way to go. Feel free to drop me a PM if you need anything sorting. Smiley
puddy
Grafter

Would this customer be hit with the ADSL cease charge?
If the user account name changes and if the customer changed her BT account name she could be hit with this charge
It may not happen but be aware
Puddy
Mand
Grafter

A PSTN cease (full cease of the phone line) would instigate a cease and a reconnection charge.
However it is possible for BT to do a name change (same person, new name) without ceasing the line.
From our point of view we wouldn't cease the line so no charge would apply assuming BT do the same.
gswindale
Grafter

But what happens if BT muck up?  As you've said that PN won't instigate the cease, but what if BT misunderstand the request to change the name and cancel the account and open a new one?  Hardly fair to then pass on a cost incurred by corporate incompetence?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
If this was to happen we'd need to coordinate with the customer, who would then need to talk to BT. Essentially someone has to pay the connection fees, IMO this should be BT Retail if this happened (and I've known cases in the past where BT Retail have covered the cost).
We'd be notified of an upcoming cease in time to arrange a cancellation in the majority of cases anyway, so it's not a common occurrence.
puddy
Grafter

Yes a name change on the BT bill will raise a cease charge please dont blame BT retail its plusnet who NOW say they will always pass the charge on in full plus you make a small amount of profit for doing this.
You always tell use your not the same as BT openreach or BT retail so how can you tell us that they wont raise a charge i.e different company its like British Gas won't charge me for a name change on my car insurance with Tesco.
Sometimes I think BT Retail BT Plusnet BT wholesale and BTopenreach make the rules up as you go a long and the customer ends up with the bill
No customer as ever been in touch with BT Openreach they dont have a customer service centre or telephone number and BT tell us its good to talk!!!!

puddy
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
Sometimes I think BT Retail BT Plusnet BT wholesale and BTopenreach make the rules up as you go a long and the customer ends up with the bill

They have Ofcom to do that for them  Angry
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
In terms of BT Retail covering the cost, on the cases where I know this has happened it has involved the customer paying us, and them being reimbursed by BT Retail.
There are strict rules about the relationships between different BT group companies, of which we are just a subsidiary of one.