Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Modem?

OshB5
Grafter

Changing Modem?

Changing Modem???
Is there any special procedure to changing a modem over?
Or is it just switch of leave for 5mins Remove, Replace  and switch the new one back on.
Andy
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Changing Modem?

You don't even have to leave for 5 minutes if you don't want to.
As a thought you could connect your computer to it while it isn't connected to the telephone line and put all your login settings in.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Do you really mean a modem or do you actually mean a router?
If it is a modem and you are replacing with a router there may be more things you need to do. If it's just a straight router swap then as long as the default IP range is the same then it should not be a difficult swap - you will need to configure the new router with your ADSL connection details, unless it has been supplied by PlusNet (a 585V7 or 585v8) in which case it will auto-confirure after power on.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi All
Thanks for the replys Nice mr plusnet sent me a brand new one but i have managed to get hold of a brand new Netgear DG834GT  only negative is its a sky one But i only paid a tenner for it Which i dont think is bad I have d/l netgear tools and the latest firmware which i am told works fine. So as soom as it comes i will be away. and setting it up. It was the removing the line and the resyncing i was thinking about As for the router i will just set it up offline liike OldJim suggested with my lan settings and name as well as the F9 log on settings.
Regs Andy