cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed filter, IP profile increased, speed yet to?

alben
Grafter

Re: Changed filter, IP profile increased, speed yet to?

Thanks HP, I have learnt a lot thanks to all the great advice yourself and the Otherone (sic) give freely, I had never thought to look at router stats! or new about an IP profile, it has been an education ;D. Three days will have passed late afternoon,  tomorrow since my last  restart of the router. Should the BT auto profile kick in after this,  or does it require a router restart?
Alan
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It should kick in by itself but it won't necessarily be exactly 3 days, that's the typical figure. For smaller increases it can be upto 5 days, for very large increases it can be a matter of hours, the PN profile then has to catch up before your throughput speeds can rise, that may be another 24hrs. I know it's tedious  ::). Now you've absorbed all that, HP's shown you how to spot when to reboot. From my experience should wait until it is at least 0.5dB better than the target value (the more the better). Looks like you've got a target of 15dB at the moment. When you resync very occassionally you might be unlucky and get a sudden increase in noise as the resync is occurring so your sync goes down Angry . If that happens wait until the noise margin recovers and resync again. Whatever, don't do it too many times (some say no more than 5 within an hour) otherwise the exchange thinks you've got a bad connection, but if that drop in speed puts you into the next profile band down, do it within the hour otherwise it will drop your profile. If it's still in the next band down after your 2nd resync your profile will drop and when you recover the speed you'll have to wait the 3 days or so again Cry .
Cheers for now,
Chris.
alben
Grafter

I restarted the router mid afternoon, no change, so have raised a ticket requesting the noise margin be reduced to 9db. You can only ask Smiley
amcclean
Rising Star

I have a similarr issue myself and I'm awaiting the result of BT altering my SNR. I asked for the change a few months back and was advised it was not possible to have this altered but in my recent tickets it was offered as an option.
I used to sync at 8128 and it's gradually decresed to between 3500 and 4600. here's hoping the forced BT SNR change can do us all good.
Podman
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From my limited experience raising a broadband fault can cause BT to raise the default margin as a first step to solving it. Having raised the noise margin by manual intervention it seems be locked and hence stops the automatic systems reducing it.
Certainly once mine was unlocked from 15dB to 9dB it dropped automatically to 6dB a few days later.
James
Grafter

Yes - It's a common first step for fixing especially an intermittent fault.
alben
Grafter

IP profile now up to 4500  Smiley I have to wait another week to see if things happen automatically re noise margin, if not PN will intervene manually.
alben
Grafter

Noise margin dropped to 12db Sunday morning, synch speed increased as below.
Statistics                                      Downstream                    Upstream
Line Rate                                      6208 Kbps                      448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                    6752 Kbps                      1128 Kbps
Noise Margin                              11.9 dB                              22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                          26.0 dB                            21.0 dB
Output Power                              12.4 dBm                          19.8 dBm
IP profile increased to 5mb today, it seems the automatic system is working in my case, but it is a slow business. I will post back on what speed  is finally achieved, seems as though it may take another week or two Roll_eyes
amcclean
Rising Star

My SNR was fixed today for the 2nd time in a week and my stats are slowly improving aswell. SNR has been set to 9 by BT.
DSL Status:   Up     
      DSL Modulation Mode:   GDMT     
      DSL Path Mode:   FAST     
      Downstream Rate:   5664 Kbps     
      Upstream Rate:   448 Kbps     
      Downstream Margin:   7 db     
      Upstream Margin:   24 db     
      Downstream Line Attenuation:   42     
      Upstream Line Attenuation:   23
Last week I sync'd at 6272 with interleaving on so how knows what my sync may achieve. I'd previously been lucky to sync above 3500
podman
Anotherone
Champion

Hi alben & podman.
Looking good Alan, with a bit of luck you'll see SNRM target go to 9dB 7-11 days after the drop to 12dB, so maybe anytime in the next few days.
Podman, you maybe limited by your line noise & hence errors. Interleaving/Fast won't affect sync speed as such, but the resulting error rate may. It would be better to continue this in your own thread.
alben
Grafter

It has been more than 14 days now and the expected further reduction of noise margin has not occured. Is it advisable to wait a little longer or time to raise a ticket?
Line Mode G.dmt                                                              Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave                Line Up Time          Duration 14:03:38:11
Line Coding Trellis On                                                    Line Up Count 1

Statistics                    Downstream                        Upstream
Line Rate                      6208 Kbps                          448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate  6752 Kbps                          1128 Kbps
Noise Margin              12.1 dB                                22.0 dB
Line Attenuation          26.0 dB                                21.0 dB
Output Power              12.4 dBm                            19.8 dBm
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Alan,
You may need to resync to see if it's gone down. I'd wait until the margin is steadily at least 13 db or higher  (in daylight - remember) before trying that. Best of luck.
Chris.
alben
Grafter

Thanks again for the advice Chris, the optimum time as far as noise margin is concerned for me is at around 11:30 am. I may not be around at this time for a few days, will post back after I have been able to resynch at this time. Find it strange though that when the noise margin reduced to 12  my router was  resynched by BT equipment !
Alan
alben
Grafter

Hi Chris & HP, Arrived home at 14:00 today, checked noise margin & saw it was 12.9db, thought give it a go!
Statistics                            Downstream                        Upstream
Line Rate                                6400 Kbps                      448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate            6944 Kbps                      1128 Kbps
Noise Margin                        11.7 dB                              22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                  26.0 dB                              21.0 dB
Output Power                        12.4 dBm                        19.8 dBm
It seems my synch has increased just enough to move my IP profile up to 5500 although still waiting for this to be confirmed. Noise margin as I write is 10.5db.not sure if my NM is now 9 or still 12,  I seem to remember reading somewhere that it increases or decreases in 3db increments?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I read that as target SNRM set to 12, so it's not stuck.
But that's such a slow change.........
More patience is required; maybe by Easter you'll be back to normal  Crazy