cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed filter, IP profile increased, speed yet to?

looneytunes
Dabbler

Re: Changed filter, IP profile increased, speed yet to?

Hey Lads,
Signed up to Plusnet again after a short spell away. Just wondered if I could ask some advice on my 'connection issues'.
Been connected for 17 days now and I'm lucky if I get a 1mb connection rate. They've done all the tests and can't see anything wrong with the line so now BT want to come out to take a look. As usual, if the problem lies with me, then they'll charge me £150.
So, here are the stats from my router:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8064 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 4.0 db 2.5 db (I can see the exchange from my windows, *waves*)
Noise Margin 10.9 db 26.0 db
and here is what the BT speedtest says:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 8064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1233 kbps
Now, am I completely out of my tree in thinking I should be getting 6mb minimum with a line attenuation like that?Huh
Observations and commments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

First check is what does this give for your current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Second an IPrate of 3500kbps indicates that something went wrong with your connection recently and you had a synch of just over 4000kbps
looneytunes
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
First check is what does this give for your current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Second an IPrate of 3500kbps indicates that something went wrong with your connection recently and you had a synch of just over 4000kbps

Estimated line speed:
6 Mbps - Checked on 2009-01-15 16:06:02
Current line speed:
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Don't forget this is Alben's thread.........
alben
Grafter

Hi, OJ, HP & Chris, I checked my router stats earlier today and was pleasantly surprised to see the noise margin reduced to  9 Smiley and synch increased as below. NM was 9.5 at 14.00 today, so am hopefull that within the next 15 days it may reduce to 6db. It seems that when BT reduce the NM that your router is resynched, this happened for me at aprox 08:00, maybe not the best time ?

Statistics                                            Downstream                              Upstream
Line Rate                                            7136 Kbps                                448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                          7680 Kbps                                1148 Kbps
Noise Margin                                      8.4 dB                                        22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                                26.0 dB                                        21.0 dB
Output Power                                    12.3 dBm                                    19.8 dBm
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Alan,
Yes a re-sync will occurr when the exchange changes it, glad it's improving, keep us updated when appropriate. 0800 might not be too bad as the mornings are getting lighter, but it is a bit dependant on what weather pressure systems are passing through at the moment.
HPsauce
Pro

Good news.  Cheesy
Funnily enough at present 8am is when my noise is at it's lowest so you may be doubly lucky.  Roll_eyes
Edit: I note that it's just over 4 weeks since your last reduction (to 12dB) so don't get excited until about 11th or 12th March....  Cool
Anotherone
Champion

Ha yes, I've just waited I think it's 28 days  Roll_eyes for my reduction to 6dB, that happened at midnight 2 nights ago. I say think because the router said 24 days, but I know I turned it off a couple of days after the last reduction that was a 28 day wait. Sad
James
Grafter

I believe it's meant to be "upto" 28 days, rather than exactly 28 days.
alben
Grafter

My son has just acquired an xbox and due to him restarting our router several times at the midnight hour we are back up to a 12db noise margin  Angry
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate                                    6112 Kbps                448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                  6656 Kbps              1144 Kbps
Noise Margin                              11.1 dB                    22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                          26.0 dB                    21.0 dB
Output Power                              12.3 dBm                  19.8 dBm
Roll_eyes
alben
Grafter

Finally seem to have got to a 6db noise margin  Grin it was surprising because it dropped from 12db to 6db, missing  out on the 9db? Thank you all again for all for the great advice Smiley
Regards Alan
Taken at 14:00 1/3/09
Statistics                                  Downstream                                Upstream
Line Rate                                  7840 Kbps                                    448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                8576 Kbps                                    1124 Kbps
Noise Margin                            6.9 dB                                              22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                      26 .0 dB                                          21.0 dB
Output Power                            12.4 dBm                                      19.8 dBm

Taken 20:45 today
Statistics                                      Downstream                              Upstream
Line Rate                                    7840 Kbps                                  448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                  8576 Kbps                                1124 Kbps
Noise Margin                                5.3 dB                                          22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                          26.0 dB                                      21.0 dB
Output Power                              12.4 dBm                                    19.8 dBm
Anotherone
Champion

Looking good, as long as that Noise Margin doesn't go below 5dB much/often. I presume you educated your son about rebooting  Wink
alben
Grafter

Hi Chris, I have never seen the NM dip below 5db, but then I am rarely awake at the time this would be likely to occur, our router does now occasionally resynch in the early hours. This last hapenned on Weds at aprox 00:30, but did not affect  stats to much of a degree (see below)  can an Xbox or gaming in general cause a resynch?
Alan
Statistics  Downtream Upstream
Line Rate 7616 Kbps 448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 8160 Kbps 1144 Kbps
Noise Margin 6.2 dB 22.0 dB
Line Attenuation 26.0 dB 21.0 dB
Output Power 12.4 dBm 19.8 dBm
Anotherone
Champion

Gaming or any kind of traffic shouldn't cause a re-sync per se, it's much more likely that a few dips in the SNRM below typically 5dB meant your router couldn't hang on.
In this situation, especially if you have a moderate variability in SNRM over the 24hrs, resyncing with a 6db target has to be a bit more subtle.
Considering your current and recent sync speed, this would have to drop to below 7392 for you to lose your current 6.5M profile, so in fact the resync that occurred at 0030 now means your line "should" be nice and stable as hopefully the chance of the SNRM going too low now should be very small. If however you do have further occurrences, I'd be looking at running RouterStats evening & overnight to see what is going on.
As your son is into gaming, latency could be more important than the actual speed. What sort of ping times do you get? You might want to think about getting Interleaving turned off.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: alben
...NM dip below 5db, but then I am rarely awake at the time this would be likely to occur

Do you work shifts then?
The Noise Margin is LOWEST when interference is HIGHEST. This is typically (though not always) in the early/mid evening in residential areas.
In some commercial/industrial areas it may be during the day.
Overnight interference is usually relatively low (NM higher) though often the best conditions are in the morning after all street lights are off.