cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed filter, IP profile increased, speed yet to?

alben
Grafter

Changed filter, IP profile increased, speed yet to?

After recently raising a ticket because of speed problems I went through the testing procedures and got my speed back up to what I had  been reasonably happy with, 3000. A few days ago I noticed my IP profile had dropped to 2500, so yesterday at aprox 17:00 I decided to start by checking the filters, I noticed the Belkin filter for my Belkin router had  inadvertently been left in a unused socket (from my previous swapping things around). I restored this filter to the router and discarded the one taken out. My router stats improved immediately to as shown below.
Statistics          Downstream          Upstream
Line Rate          5024 Kbps                      448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 5568 Kbps          1132 Kbps
Noise Margin 15.2 dB                            22.0 dB
Line Attenuation 26.0 dB                        21.0 dB
Output Power 12.4 dBm                        19.8 dBm
The BT speedtester and Plusnet show my profile as 4000, better than anything achieved previously, yet any speed checkers I try show show my DL speed as aprox 2300, If  I am being impatient  please excuse me ( I know it can take up to 72 hours) it is only because I cannot grasp why  if PN and BT  show the same profile 4000, why speed has not improved.
Thanks and a happy New Year to you all, Alan
76 REPLIES 76
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Changed filter, IP profile increased, speed yet to?

Hi alben, with that attenuation you should really get the full 8meg.
However your SNRM is still around 15 whereas the normal default is 6. That will reduce your speed a lot.
If the problems have now really been fixed that should adjust over time (days at least) and speed should increase.
If it doesn't you either still have a problem, such as faulty wiring, or a "stuck profile".
(The low output power suggests you may still have local wiring issues.)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Assuming that everything is now and remains stable you could ask Plusnet to reduce your default noise margin to 9dB.
Assuming at that level everything is still OK you could ask for a further reduction to 6dB.
However my recent experience was that within a few days of Plusnet getting my margin reduced from 15dB to 9dB the BT automated systems dropped it to 6dB which, on my line would have been totally unstable. Fortunately my router can tweak the default noise margin so I put is back to 9db.
To get an idea as to how your line performs watch the noise margin over the evening and see how much it reduces. If it drops by more than 3dB then you will have much less room for manoeuvre.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
(The low output power suggests you may still have local wiring issues.)

Ignore that comment, it looks like you have one of those routers that reports up/down power the wrong way round.
What make/model is it?
alben
Grafter

Hi, HP sauce, my router is a Belkin F5D 7632UK.
Alan
alben
Grafter

Result of just taken BT speedtest
Your DSL connection rate: 5024 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2214 kbps
Should I restart my router or just be patient ?
Alan
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Be Patient!
What has not been said is that if you speed 'throughput' test at busy periods the speed is very likely to be lower than at off-peak times. This may be due to congestion at your local exchange rather than /as well as PN. You also look as if you have a very noisey line (it could be faulty) as you should be syncing at higher speeds. Also your line will be noisier after dark, it may be worse at this time of year due to flashing xmas lights etc. Try a re-sync in daylight hours (around mid-dayish) and post your router stats. Then, without re-booting, monitor and post your stats at various times over the next few days.
alben
Grafter

I have just restarted my router and things have improved.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 5312 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3517 kbps
Statistics                            Downstream                              Upstream
Line Rate                          5312 Kbps                                  448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate      5920 Kbps                                  1140 Kbps
Noise Margin                      15.4 dB                                      22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                  26.0 dB                                    21.0 dB
Output Power                      12.3 dBm                                19.8 dBm
I have done a quiet line test and there is little discernable noise, but I do know I am a fair distance from the exchange. Anyway I have never had speeds above 3000 so any increase  I do get is a bonus Smiley

alben
Grafter

Router stats at 18:40
Statistics                                      Downstream                                      Upstream
Line Rate                                      5312 Kbps                                          448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                    5920 Kbps                                          1140 Kbps
Noise Margin                                14.5 dB                                                  22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                          26.0 dB                                                  21.0 dB
Output Power                                12.3 dBm                                            19.8 dBm
HPsauce
Pro

The downstream noise margin is the thing to watch.
Ideally you want to resync when it is at its highest (well over 15?). Then leave it alone.
At my location that's about 9am at this time of year, but for you it may be different.
alben
Grafter

Router stats at 21:55  02/01/09
Statistics                                                  Downstream                            Upstream
Line Rate                                                    5312 Kbps                                448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                                5920 Kbps                              1140 Kbps
Noise Margin                                            14.6 dB                                      22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                                        26.0 dB                                      21.0 dB
Output Power                                            12.3 dBm                                  19.8 dBm
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Given the almost zero loss of noise margin I would definitely raise a ticket asking for the default  noise margin to be reduced to 9dB
alben
Grafter

Thanks for the advise Oldjim, do I have to give any stats or info on the ticket?
alben
Grafter

Final stats for today taken at 22:50
Statistics                                                                  Downstream                                  Upstream
Line Rate                                                                    5312                                                  448 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate                                                5920 Kbps                                      1140 Kbps
Noise Margin                                                            14.5 dB                                              22.0 dB
Line Attenuation                                                        26.0 dB                                              21.0 dB
Output Power                                                            12.3 dBm                                          19.8 dBm

Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you explain the reason why things went wrong (duff filter) and a series of results as on this thread you should have no trouble.
If, however, the response is that you need to raise a fault come back here as that is not required.
Hopefully with the problems I had recently getting my noise margin dropped they will know better