Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change my Static ip address

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Change my Static ip address

You don't actually need a fixed IP to set up an FTP server accessed by a fixed name if you sign up to a free dynamic DNS service.
I use DynDNs but that is no longer free. http://www.noip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html is supported by the Plusnet routers. What happens is that it registers your current IP address against your chosen name each time your router connects.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

DynDNS requires you to sign up to a trial now, but one hostname is still free if you cancel the trial within the 14 days.
Just cancel your DynDNS Pro trial within 14 days and you will not be charged. You may keep one hostname free of charge for trying out the DynDNS Pro trial.

Just a bit fiddly!
kmilburn
Grafter

When you switch to a static IP, you will get a my_user_name.plus.com domain  (but you cant do anything with it) and the DNS entry will resolve to your static IP address.
By default,  the Reverse DNS entry will match the DNS entry,  but you can change that if you want.
Cholek3
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
. http://www.noip.com/services/managed_dns/free_dynamic_dns.html is supported by the Plusnet routers.

By supported, do you mean I don't need computer running dedicated software which "sync" dynamic IP with no-ip.com account? Router does that automatically?
Nobody answered if this is 1 off fee for getting static IP.
Thanks.
darklight
Grafter

Yes it is a 1 off fee of 5 pound for a static ip, i joined PN last month and i got a static ip as soon as openreach guy left my front door.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

On the TG582 look in the Toolbox section - it does the updates.
From my router log immediately after I last rebooted my router (and before it had synced the time):
<29> Jan  1 00:07:27 DYNDNS Host <myname>.dynalias.org has been updated successfully by members.dyndns.org

and to test it (with my name and IP obscured):
C:\Users\John>nslookup <myname>.dynalias.org  8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    <myname>.dynalias.org
Address:  80.229.<removed>.<removed>
Cholek3
Grafter

Quote from: darklight
Yes it is a 1 off fee of 5 pound for a static ip, i joined PN last month and i got a static ip as soon as openreach guy left my front door.

Do you know, if you got same dynamic IP, which was assigned to you later on as static IP, or they reset it and you got new one? I know it is irrelevant, just asking out of curiousity. How long did it actually take to get fixed IP?
Quote from: jelv
On the TG582 look in the Toolbox section - it does the updates.

I don't use router supplied by Plusnet, I got my own, but it's also supported by looks of it. There us a list, i.e. dyndns.org, no-ip.com, tzo, etc.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I can't remember if it supports no-ip, but the Netgear DG834v1 I've had for years that I was using until late last year supported DynDNS. I suspect it's a fairly common router feature.
darklight
Grafter

@Cholek3
Well my static ip was different from the dynamic ip i had, and changing from dynamic to static ip was fast, i went to members page to add static ip, did that, then logged into router i drop session and 5 secs later i reconnected session and i got my static ip.
Cholek3
Grafter

Thanks a lot guys. I might go for static ip. Smiley
PembsPanther
Grafter

Quote from: dsw
Partly. The static IP will allow you to then setup an FTP server at your house. With a few rules setup on the router, you'll then be able to connect to the FTP server externally using the static IP address you're assigned. rDNS is what is displayed when somebody looks up your IP address. This will show as yourusername.plus.net unless you ask for it to be changed. It doesn't mean you get a web address (yourusername.plus.net) which can be accessed in a browser.

ooooo now I like the sound of that! Does anyone know if it would be possible to stream media over FTP?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'd very much doubt it as that's not what FTP is for. However it is possible to set up a server to use for both streaming and FTP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team