Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in the night

KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Change in the night

Anybody explain what's happened in the middle of the night last night based on this graph..
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Change in the night

You had a loss of PPP connection and hence went to a different gateway
It is possible the interleaving has been applied but as far as I know that requires a resync and in any case the increase may not be big enough for that
KevinA
Rising Star

according to the router logs no loss of the PPP session, although there is a log around the same time:-
FIREWALL replay check (1 of 8): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 46.17.56.235 Dst ip: 146.90.xx.xx Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication with Destination Host is Administratively Prohibited
I too thought DLM or interleaving but also thought that required a re sync?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will be interested to see whether you find an answer to this, as exactly the same thing happened to me, reported here on 7th March.
Nobody has come up with any useful answers, and my line was before and after the event on FastPath with an interleave depth of one.
Unfortunately my latency was 17ms to 19ms before the step up, and ever since has been about 31ms to 34ms.  Angry
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@KevinAndrews
So are you saying your sync speed didn't change, your Gateway and IP address didn't change either? BUT as you are on Fibre, you cannot tell if your sync speed has changed without running the BT Speedtester Diagnostic (unless your aren't using a locked modem) and you will have needed to have dropped your PPP session to make sure that the relevant servers are updated with your current sync speeds.
KevinA
Rising Star

My ip address stayed the same, I've run the BT speedtest and its still stating the IP profile same as before, I don't have an unlocked modem so I'm unable to see the modem stats.. I'm still connected to the same gateway.. Is it possible that the OR modem can re-sync that quickly that the PPP session appears to be maintained?
Anotherone
Champion

The answer to that is, a lot of people say yes (applies to ADSL & Fibre) but I think it's a little more complex than just appearing to be a "quick" resync. I've found some evidence of late, but don't want to throw red herrings about until I've done some more research and got some more evidence.
If you could check which Gateway you are on
Could you then log into your Router, Disconnect your PPP session, wait about 30 seconds and then Reconnect your PPP session.
Then run the BT speedtester Diagnostic and see if your BT IP Profile is any different (do a copy and paste of the results into a post).
Check which Gateway you are now on.
If you could also post up a new TBB graph when it's showing the Gateway change, it will be interesting to see what the effect on the ping is.
KevinA
Rising Star

ptw-ag01 (before disconnect)
After reconnecting:
Gateway now:
ptn-ag01
router log:
Info Apr 15 13:48:22 PPP CHAP Chap receive success : authentication ok
Info Apr 15 13:48:21 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ptn-ag01)
Info Apr 15 13:48:18 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = bras-red10.mr-dh)
Speedtest:

BT Speedtest:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 61.09 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-64.23 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 64.23 Mbps (changed was 64.4 Mbps)
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 13.57Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Live Broadband Quality Monitor

So it does appear that possibly DLM has re-sync my line without a drop or the PPP session or apparent drop.
KevinA
Rising Star

Why oh why oh why did I disconnect.. now my connection is almost unusable, Its taking around 40 seconds to loads any web page and that's if it doesn't time out first..
Good old gateway hope again I think..
after hop live:-
Anotherone
Champion

So ptn-ag01 was giving you bad performance? That's been resolved by whichever Gateway you are now on?
I hope your Current Line speed (Login required) is matching the BT IP Profile.
KevinA
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
So ptn-ag01 was giving you bad performance?

Yeah, although I have noticed its now on the service status for that gateway..
Anotherone
Champion

Just typical, I went looking before I replied to your post in case there was a Service Status or any other info, which at the time there wasn't  Roll_eyes
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

The PTN-ag01 issue is now resolved. Looks like it was bad timing when you switched to that gateway  Undecided