cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in broadband speed since March

glreeves

Change in broadband speed since March

I've been on the Essentials package since Aug 13.  My download speed was consistently around 2.3 Mbs, but then I noticed a drop between Feb-Mar 14 and now it is consistently around 1.7 Mbs.  Nothing has changed in my set up and I am disappointed!  Two calls to Customer Service have not resolved the issue.  Furthermore I was given conflicting advice!
I was told that this speed is still within "normal" limits, but why the sudden drop which now makes video buffer more frequently.  Is there a solution or do I have to put up with this?  If no change I will have to consider leaving when my contract expires.  Can anyone help please?
10 REPLIES 10
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Change in broadband speed since March

Hi glreeves,
I'm sorry to hear that your speeds have dropped a little.
Having looked at your line I can see what has probably caused this. Your SNR Target was set at 6db which would have given you a connection rate of around 2300K whereas now your SNR is 9db which has decreased your sync rate to 2080K.
Would you be able to connect an alternative microfilter and also connect your router into your Test Socket?
glreeves

The microfilter I have is built into the socket box on the wall. It was fitted by BT when I was with them last year so I can't really change it.  It seems to be an add-on box on the front.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Your connection has just had a resync and your SNR Margin on your downstream is back at 6dB. I've updated your speed profile to match so hopefully you'll now see an increase.
glreeves

Chris, This is exactly what the first customer service agent told me when I first reported the drop in speed, later to be denied by the second agent when the speed had not improved!  I have just done a speed test...and it's DROPPED to 1.3Mbs!  Why please?  Thanks.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've checked over your connection and can see no reason for the drop, has it improved at all since?
glreeves

It's 1.7 download, 0.36 upload, so no return to my 2.3 Mbs!  Can you do anything more please?  Thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi,
I've just checked again and everything looks fine from our point of view. I'd consider raising a fault if this problem continues: http://faults.plus.net
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
glreeves

Hmm. I thought I'd already done this by twice phoning your Customer Support (with no resolution) and then through my posts on here...what will happen differently if I use your link please?  A request to do a speedtest with a new filter with connection direct to the test socket which I have already done.  I went round in cricles like this previously with BT and left in frustration when my contract expired!  Deja vu!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

When you log a fault with us online on the above link, it creates a ticket to our Faults Team who will run in-depth checks and they'll contact you and work with you to get the issue resolved.
glreeves

OK, thanks.  Will try it later.