cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change fibre router bandwidth

Lovelythanks
Grafter

Change fibre router bandwidth

I have a problem that I know is with my iPad Air connectivity and not my fibre supply or hardware... However, one of the possible workarounds for the problem is to change the channel or bandwidth that my router outputs at, change it from auto for instance
Could you direct me to instructions to do this please?
Many thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Change fibre router bandwidth

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi LovelyThanks,
By the sounds of it, you suspect that you have a problem with the wifi set up - exactly what makes you think this?  Can your iPad not "see" the wifi service or are you having problems connecting to the seen service?
There should be no problem connecting iPads to auto channel wifi services.  In my house hold we've got 6 iDevices all working fine.
To manually select a channel, you need to go to the wifi configuration pages in the router - see here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/intfs/?be=0&l0=4&l1=2 - you will need to login, then select the wireless interface and then configure.
Hope that helps,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robertjohn
Grafter

Lovelythanks
The procedure is as follows for me:
Browse to http://192.168.1.254/landing.lp
Below 'Pick a task... ' double click  '5.3 Wireless Configuration'
Your Username should be 'admin'; enter your password as directed; click 'OK'
Click 'Configure' above the Wireless Access Point panel
You are now free to makes the changes you wish
Lovelythanks
Grafter

Thanks for the pointers folks, much appreciated.
In response to Townman... I have other internet devices wired and wireless that remain connected when my iPad Air drops the connection, often the only way to get it back is a reboot of the ipad which is a real mither... I had an ipad2 before, now my daughters, and that seems to be much more stable holding the connection.  I've googled this problem and found others the same, one of the recommended 'fixes' is to specify the wifi channel and/or change the bandwidth to 5ghz?.?. Not sure about that last one... If my router can do
Again thanks to you all
Lovelythanks
Grafter

Ha! Turned out I've tried this before... It wasn't set to auto it was set at channel 7
Anyway I've since tried channels 6 and 12 both of which I have had the same problem, it holds the connection for so long and then drops out... Now I'm trying channel 1
Like i said earlier I'm pretty sure this is iPad Air related so I might end up going back to them for a diagnosis and fix hopefully
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: Lovelythanks
one of the recommended 'fixes' is to specify the wifi channel and/or change the bandwidth to 5ghz?.?. Not sure about that last one... If my router can do

Hi Lovelythanks,
This sounds a bit fishy!  All other devices are OK but the iPad Air drops off.  One wonders if that device (the one out of step with all of the others) is faulty?
The TG582n router is single (2.4GHz) band.  To operate on the 5GHz band requires an dual-band router.  If you do decide to buy a dual-band router, make sure that it is a CONCURRENT dual-band router, as many or one OR the other, not both at the same time.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.