cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change activation date

jmmaclean1888
Hooked

Change activation date

Hi, I am switching from BT and my activation date is 14 Dec. My contract runs with BT until the 16th so they are now trying to charge me for ending the contract early. Is it possible to change my switch date to the 16th? Thanks, James
13 REPLIES 13
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Change activation date

Are you using the gaining provider-led procedure?  Surely BT can only charge you until the end of your contract at whatever rate they have for leaving while under contract.  Since their charges, except calls, are charged in advance, you have already paid the full rate until the end of your contract anyway.

jmmaclean1888
Hooked

Hi Jonpe, thanks for the feedback. That is correct, but they are trying to levy an additional £55 charge for "equipment" for ending the contract early.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Technically speaking they are correct since the 'free' (or postage only) router is usually conditional on staying for your contracted term.  However, as I said, you should by now have paid whatever you were contracted to pay BT for your entire contract so they haven't lost out in any way.  This may just be a case of "computer says no" or an inflexible interpretation of the rules.  It woud be worth calling them about it, and if that doesn't help, you could try their forum where staff used to 'invite contributors to send them private messages' and they would help out.  As a last resort you should take this complaint higher since it is blatantly unfair.  By the way, do they no longer have an option to return their "equipment" on leaving a contract early?

I don't know whether PN will, at this late stage, be able to defer the migration (or indeed if they ever can).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there and welcome to the community forums.

I'd be happy to change your activation date but it's unlikely to happen over a weekend.

Is the 18th December OK for you instead?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jmmaclean1888
Hooked

Hi Gandalf, that would be great! Thank you for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems.

Our suppliers have had to amend your order to the 22nd instead as that was the next slot showing this side of the new year. We'll let you know when we've got confirmation. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jmmaclean1888
Hooked

Dear Gandalf,

Thanks again for your help with this. This morning I got a text saying my activation date has been changed to 5 Jan, not 22 Dec. I am happy to wait an extra few days, but not the entire xmas and festive period without internet. Please could you let me know if I need to do anything for activation on the 22nd?

Thanks again,

James

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Really sorry for any confusion! 

I've changed the appointment to the first available one on 20/12/17

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=164049728 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jmmaclean1888
Hooked

Hi Adam,

Great, thanks! Do I need to be in the house for a visit from a technician, or do I not need to be there?

James

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi James. No, the engineer should be able to complete the work without needing access to your property.

I've moved the ticket on your account to my teams workflow so we can follow up tomorrow. I'd like to keep an eye on this to make sure we receive confirmation from our suppliers of the date to be the 20th.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jmmaclean1888
Hooked

Hi Gandalf, sounds good. Thank you for the update.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Since my last post, the date reverted back to January, so we tried booking it again for the earliest we were seeing at the time, which was the 22nd. Unfortunately, once more the date reverted back to January.

So I've got our suppliers to expedite the order to the 18th.

This should mean it goes through this time. I'll continue to keep an eye on things. -Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jmmaclean1888
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

That is great, thanks for the update. Please let me know if you require any further info from me.

Thanks and best,

James