cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change My Usage Allowance

Tsonga
Grafter

Change My Usage Allowance

I am sure I read somewhere, that if you pay upfront for extra usage allowance, the cost is 75p per Gb. This, however, states that each Gb would cost £1:
You are currently: Fixed cost
If you use your usage allowance, your speeds will be restricted to 128k until the end of the billing month. If you think you might use more than your allowance, simply tick this box to get extra usage at your normal speed for £1 per Gb.

So, how do I go about getting extra allowance for 75p? And is this something that I commit to paying even if I don't actually use the extra allowance? I don't know yet if I will be needing it, but given that my kids have now discovered the joys of BBCI Player, I am not sure whether we will last the coming month with 8Gb.  Undecided
12 REPLIES 12
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Re: Change My Usage Allowance

My understanding is that the 75p would only apply to next month - you have to pay £1.00 for an increase on the current month. See below
paulby
Grafter

You need to go here and pick a new usage allowance from the from the drop down list (where it says "Choose a new usage allowance). The extra usage will be added straight away and you will be charged the extra 75p in your next bill plus 75p for the extra GB the following month.  Remember, though, that you'll keep the extra allowance month on month unless you change it back.
If it's only one month that you're likely to go over, it's cheaper to tick the box and pay for the extra GB if you need it.
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks! I understand how it works now!
I was on an unlimited product before I migrated. It is difficult to get used to the usage restrictions, but on the up side, I am saving £10/month and my line is four times faster!
Half-term is over so I suspect our usage will go down again now...  Smiley
Tsonga
Grafter

So, I have now been to 'Set A Broadband Price Limit', and added a few pounds so that I don't have to keep checking my usage anxiously every day. Am I right in thinking that this extra amount will only be taken from my account if I exceed my 8Gb, at the rate of £1 per Gb?
paulby
Grafter

If you've set a price ceiling (and ticked the box so that extra usage is added as PAYG), once you go over your 8GB included usage you'll get charged at £1/GB until you hit your chosen price cap.  Once you hit your price cap your connection will be throttled until your next billing month.
Tsonga
Grafter

I must be either thick or tired! I can't see a box to tick. All I have is this:
You can set yourself a monthly usage limit to help you manage your broadband costs. Enter the maximum amount you want to spend on extra usage and click 'Change'.
You are on a base cost at £14.99
Your current price limit £19.99 Cancel
Choose a new price limit £

But presumably we are talking about the same thing, i.e.
- if I go over 8Gb I pay £1 per Gb
- if I go over 13Gb I get throttled (not literally, I hope!)
- and if I don't go over 8Gb, I don't pay more than £14.99.
Correct?
paulby
Grafter

The box is on this page - I should have been clearer.  You need to make sure you've ticked the box to add extra usage on a PAYG basis and then go to the page to set a price cap.

But presumably we are talking about the same thing, i.e.
- if I go over 8Gb I pay £1 per Gb
- if I go over 13Gb I get throttled (not literally, I hope!)
- and if I don't go over 8Gb, I don't pay more than £14.99.
Correct?

Correct Smiley
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks!  Smiley
Actually, I think that it is not you, but the Control Your Broadband page that should be clearer!
There are two separate sections miles apart to achieve one change. First you have to go to Change My Usage Allowance and tick the Pay As You Go box. Yet, you don't actually touch the Choose a New Usage Allowance box. Then you have to go to Set A Broadband Price Limit, four levels down, and modify your price limit. Wouldn't it be clearer to have the Pay As You Go box in the Set A Broadband Price Limit section?
[Do I sound annoyed? Well, I am not actually!  ;)]
Tamlyn
Grafter

Quote from: BlueRhizome
Actually, I think that it is not you, but the Control Your Broadband page that should be clearer!

I think you're right. An item on my agenda is to mock up an improved My Account section and get it user tested. The BBYW control panel seems like a good place to start. I'll keep you posted on my progress.  Smiley
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks for the response Tamlyn. Excellent portal by the way!  Smiley
Tamlyn
Grafter

Here's an alternate version of the broadband control panel that I mocked up. The aim is to make the link between the three settings - option, usage & limit - easier to understand. They're just images so the input boxes & drop-downs don't work but the links and buttons should work as expected. let us know what you think.
The index page would probably use some javascript slidey stuff to show & hide the options when you click on 'change'.
Tsonga
Grafter

Looks perfect to me! Many thanks!  Smiley