cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capable of higher speed but not sustained.

Xenon
Grafter

Re: Capable of higher speed but not sustained.

will try and open the box later and post some pics inthe meantime heres todays figures taken around 10.05
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 12:42:39
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 4,850
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 38.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 37.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 9.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 84 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 29,521
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 109
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 90

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.4 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 4.28 Mbps
Iplayer's speedchecker gave a figure of 4185 kbps
Back with pics later if I can open the box. Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Those CRC error figures are looking pretty good, but there is definitely quite a big change is noise levels between night and day. Well, apart from that one drop in the evenings the last couple of days, it's looking otherwise fairly stable. I wonder what it will do this evening?  Of course, you wouldn't know if it often drops overnight because you don't normally leave it on, if that isn't a contradictory statement  Huh
Xenon
Grafter

Hi Another pics may take longer than expected as my cam decided it needed its battery recharging
Ive had a look inside there are two larger cable in there one comes from outside which appears to have a brown plastic coat.... the one that the red an white cables are coming out of is black....must admit I dont like fiddling it looks really delicate.
Xenon
Grafter

Incidentally the routers been left turned on the past few nights while youve been helping...
Xenon
Grafter

Found this on the Thomson site
Uptime: 0 days, 13:35:07
thats as of 11 am doesnt that mean since reconnecting since 9.30 last night Ive not been disconnected ?Huh
I remember a few years back I had a run of disconnections at night like this and I remember then thinking the weird thing was that the disconnections moved an hour when the clocks changed......
Anotherone
Champion

Ermm, I had noticed you kept it on  Smiley  I did say in reply #76 things looked fairly stable since yesterday evening.
When you say a "run" of disconnections, do you mean several disconnections each time, or just one or two each evening for a while?
And what was the fix?
As for the time shift thing, hmmm, it does sound like the possibility of something electrical going on or off but not changing to summertime. This could all be a red herring, but shouldn't be overlooked.
When you have a moment, have a look at the brown cable outside and see where it goes, and how many junction boxex (if any) you may see. With a bit of luck it will go straight up the wall to where it joins the overhead cable to the pole with no other joints or cables connected.
As for this white box inside, it shouldn't be that delicate, otherwise it could be the source of problems. Anyway we'll wait for the pics later. I'm of for a little while.
Xenon
Grafter

Looks like I was wrong about the red and white cables coming out of the black cable....
I dont know if these are clear enough....

Xenon
Grafter

It seems two cables (one black and one brown come in and the metal core from each is fed into a small plastic 'gromit' then red and white wires come from these 'gromits and into the box with the socket....
Anotherone
Champion

Difficult to tell from that picture, but from this angle that incoming cable looks like a twin flat cable (it's not got a round sheath on it) with a figure of 8 cross-section, ie. if you cut a cross-section through the middle it looks like an 8. Is that what it is?
The plastic bits are nick-named jelly crimps, because they are full of silicon jelly, nice connections.
Can we have a picture of this cable from outside to try and see the detail of it's shape, and tell me does it go all the way to the pole, or does it join a round black sheathed cable anywhere at the house?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Xenon
It seems two cables (one black and one brown come in....

Or, indeed, can you confirm if it's two separate (single-core?) cabes and, as Anotherone suggested, a picture from outside etc.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion

I doubt it's two separate cores, just one of the pair discoloured, or been marked, which ever, pre-historic and the engineer had the cheek to say he'd got the best cable  Angry
Xenon
Grafter

Hi Another ...on the outside I can't tell if the cable is two seperate cables made to be seperated down the middle or not... it looks like two black cables but they appear to be fused...I havent a clue why one appears brown inside the box and cant see the point where the change takes place. the cable runs up under the eaves and to a box on the front apex of the house. The box light fawn in colour with a 'silver coloured' metal 'loop projecting from it from which the wire appears to run to a pole about 50 feet away from the property. Im afraid despite best efforts I cant get a clear pic of the box cos the view is obscured by a conifer....
I seem to recall the engineer was talking about the cable coming to the house being the best... Im pretty sure he said something about it being aluminiuim ?? which is no longer used. Of course I cant remember the whole of the conversation because he got a bit technical. But I definately remember him saying that cable was best.
Anotherone
Champion

Well, that is absolute Bull****. Are you sure he didn't say it's not the best? That is the 2nd oldest cable in use, it's not twisted pair,  & Aluminium cable by the way is terrible stuff. All old cable should have been replaced, but in a number of instances when they have done cables from poles, the engineers have been lazy and not done the run into the house.
Don't worry about a picture, your description is good enough. But what we need to try and be sure about, is the cable going to the pole from the eaves. Have you got an upstairs window near enough that you can look and see if it is a round cross-section black sheath?  It's about 6mm in diameter IIRC.
Xenon
Grafter

Its a bungalow so no upper window I'll try with a step ladder - probably tomorrow now as for some reason I started with damn nose bleeds last night and am not so good with even moderate heights at the best of times  Undecided
I was chuffed when the engineer said the cable was best...if he'd have said it had been worst Id have asked about getting it replaced. The phones been in a good few years now.
I hate to display my ignorance again another but what's  IIRC mean ?Huh
Incidentally are we still needing the stuff to be connected to the test plate or can the face plate be replaced... I'm just worried about stuff getting knocked or dust getting in there etc.
Anotherone
Champion

If I Recall Correctly (IIRC).
Is that pole on your property or on the boundary? I take it from the house to the pole doesn't cross a roadway or path.
Does any of the cable pass through any trees?
Don't go climbing step-ladders if you aren't safe, we don't want any accidents. Got any binoculars?
Yes, you can put the boxes back together and faceplate on. Stick to using the same modem/router though and post a set of stats when you are re-connected.