cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant connect to my work VPN, help anyone??

martin2006
Grafter

Cant connect to my work VPN, help anyone??

hi, i have xp home pc connected to netgear dgnd3300v2 and a dell laptop running windows 7 ultimate. i need to connect my laptop to my head office vpn to retrieve emails from ms exchange server. if i use my o2 dongle or my wireless heighbours bt home hub i connect to the vpn immediately but if i connect via my netgear via plusnet i get the message -the L2TP connection attempt failed becasue the security layer encountered a processing error during intial negotiations with the remote computer (error 789) .
can anyone help as i'm going nuts Cry
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Cant connect to my work VPN, help anyone??

I used Outlook Web Access.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have you activated the PlusNet firewall: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall, any setting higher then 'low' may block VPN connections.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
martin2006
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
I used Outlook Web Access.

thanks strat, i dont think i would be allowed, i think we have to use what thecompany provides or we get shot or something, even if it doesnt work.....
martin2006
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
Have you activated the PlusNet firewall: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall, any setting higher then 'low' may block VPN connections.

hi walker23, in a word, you are a star, i set the firewall to low, rebooted the router and i connected immdeiately, you wouldnt believe how much time i have spent trying to resolve this, including an hour and a half on the phone to our IT 'experts' in germany
thanks very much Cheesy
martin2006
Grafter

just got an anwswer to my ticket i raised before posting, they suggested it was my router and couldnt help............the forums win again!!!